Why am I not entitled to backpay? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why am I not entitled to backpay?

Lorine66
Lorine66 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi I was moved from IB to ESA contribution based I received my form regarding the underpayment & Sent it back apparently as I was in receipt of Industrial Injury I am not entitled to any back pay of ESA.NOT REALLY SURE WHY

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lorine66 welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear this. I am unsure how to advise however members of our community may know and will be in contact soon. Let us know if we can help you any further :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lorine66
    I  have passed this onto our benefits advisor to see if they can help at all :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

IIDB is counted as income £1 for £1 when calculating income related ESA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lorine66
    Lorine66 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi Poppy sorry I misconstrued what you had said as I was on ES A contributory based my IIDB never had any impact on my IB & that was my confusion thanks for the information.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem.
    The IIDB doesn't affect contributions based ESA but it affects the Income related top up, which is why DWP have made the decision that you're not entitled to anything extra on top of your Contributions based ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Lorine66

As poppy123456 has mentioned there are 2 types of ESA:

- contributory based ESA, is paid if a person has paid sufficient national insurance contributions and is a non-means tested benefit, and as such capital e.g. savings in a bank and other income do not generally effect the amount you receive.
    - income related ESA, is means tested and thus capital and any other income will effect the amount you receive.

When ESA transferred people from IB to ESA the main mistake was in regards to entitlement to income related ESA. As such, as a means tested benefit any other income a person receives will effect entitlement.  It sounds like any amount of income related ESA you were entitled to was offset by your entitlement to IIDB. 

But, if you do want the calculation to be double checked you can always take the ESA letter to a local advice centre or CAB. 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.