Bank Account for our son - opening and accessing with a LPOA — Scope | Disability forum

Bank Account for our son - opening and accessing with a LPOA

mickeyg14 Member Posts: 1
Hi everybody

Can anyone give any feedback on their experiences of opening a current account for someone with learning disability using a lasting power of attorney to open and manage the account?

He's currently got a Nationwide savings account - should we stick with them and move the funds?

I know they should all treat us equally as long as we have the requisite paperwork. But just wondering about people's experiences with the High Street financial institutions.

Thanks - Mike G


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,452 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, as you are your son's power of attorney you will have a duty of care towards your son's financial affairs, that said all banks will should understand your situation and be helpful in guiding you to the correct products for your son's financial needs now and for the future.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @mickeyg14 , please have look at our managing for someone else section.

    Please keep us updated. ;)
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mickeyg14, and a belated welcome! 

    It may not be possible for anybody to specify which bank or account would be best for you, but hopefully some of our members can share their experiences. Have you had any further thoughts?

    You may also be interested in Dosh, which supports people with learning disabilities to manage their money:
    If you have a learning disability, we can support you to manage your money.

    We will support you in a person-centred way to use your money in the way you want. You can read more about this in our Dosh Promise and our Dosh Leaflet.
  • JCC
    JCC Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    In my experience opening an account with any of the main High Street Banks - where they still exist - is not a problem. 
    A copy of a benefits letter less than 6 months old and the EPA, LPA or Court of Protection Order is sufficient.  However, I would not be able to advise which bank would be the most advantageous.    Some banks still offer a passbook with a photograph in certain circumstances instead of an account with a pin number that can be forgotten for example.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.