ESA after reaching State pension Age — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA after reaching State pension Age

DavidP
DavidP Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi there Everyone. I am a new member and looking forward to chatting with other disabled people here. Wondering if anyone here is on State Pension and still receiving ESA benefits payments. I have been on enhanced ESA for about 8 years. I also get full PIP enhanced for both components. Lucky me! and I empathise with anyone who should but doesn't (another big issue/ can of worms, at this time). I am 65 in a couple of weeks time and just got sent a letter inviting me to apply for my (full) State Pension. It's due on 6th May. Again, lucky me! The next day I got a letter from the DWP explaining changes in my ESA entitlement "due to an age change" saying that I will only get about two-thirds of what I do now. I was surprised they were still planning to give me anything! Is this normal I wonder, or are they making a mistake? Will they suddenly wake up and demand money "paid in error" back (indeed can they?). Does anybody else get both ESA and State Pension? I expected my ESA to stop.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your ESA will stop once you reach state pension age because ESA is a working age benefit. I'm not sure what enhanced ESA is, there's 2 groups for ESA WRAG and Support Group. Enhanced disability premium is paid as part of Income related ESA if you're in the support group. If you claim the severe disability premium in with your ESA then this will continue through pension credit.

If the letter says you'll be paid some ESA then you need to ring them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DavidP
    DavidP Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Poppy. 
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I took your advice and phoned DWP. After about half an hour of listening to Vivaldi I got through! They had made a couple of mistakes and it seems they have put them right now. Fact of the matter is that ESA payments carry on till the pension kicks in and as you say that is enhanced by pension credits. 
    Thanks again, David  :)  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.