PIP report wasn't used to make a decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP report wasn't used to make a decision

mattsr2012
mattsr2012 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all,

Just a quick question for you all, my wife applied for PIP and went for the interview just before Christmas. We weren't very hopeful of getting it straight off the bat (based on what I've read online) however were quite surprised to receive the decision back last week and find she had literally been given 0 on every one of the The daily living activity questions. It was also more surprising to see the report basically full of "You said this and backed it up with this however I as decision maker have decided the complete opposite".

So today I asked my wife to phone them up and request a copy of the assessment report so that I could use it when completing the Mandatory reconsideration only to have her told by the first adviser she spoke to that they hadn't received the report and the decision was made purely on the application form she originally sent. She then phoned again about an hour later and spoke to another adviser who stated that they did in fact have the report and would send it out to us however as the decision to reject the claim was "Crystal clear" from the initial application, they had decided not to even use the report in their decision making process.

Is this normal or am I justified in feeling the way I do right now?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @mattsr2012

I am sorry to hear what you and wife have been going through. Unfortunately some of our members may relate to this and will be able to offer you some support.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Our experience was the same. Just before Christmas I filled out another form of never ending questions and prayed as I walked to the mailbox to post it. 
    I had to telephone DWP last week to see if they had received the paperwork and made a decision. No reply but I received the assessment report yesterday afternoon. 
    I almost literally wailed whilst I was reading the assessment report that contained a bucketload of lies. That was this morning. So I’m going to try appealing the decision. Luckily I had made extra copies of the application form and the report. I doubt their reading skills. My son can read waay better than they do. Wish me luck. 
    Keep us posted on what happens next. Good luck!! I think they’re certainly incompetent. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.