Why do some people think we don’t have a brain? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why do some people think we don’t have a brain?

Options
jen2609
jen2609 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
For the past 3 years I have used a mobility scooter because of a foot injury, and at airports have used special assistance - a wheelchair with a member of staff pushing me. I was amazed at the way I was treated by some airport staff; when I went to show our passports one member of staff ignored me and asked to speak to the person pushing my chair, another member of staff when pushing me through the airport spoke exclusively to my husband.  I felt like saying “it’s my foot not my brain!” Being treated like this has put me off going on holidays where I have to travel by air. Disabled people have a right to be treated with respect like anyone else. Could airports not invest some of their budget to educate staff in this respect?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @jen2609
    I am sorry you have had such a rubbish experience! I use a wheelchair at times, I have a chronic illness and use it when the fatigue and pain get too much and I have definitely noticed a difference in how I am treated when I use the whhelchair.

Have you thought about writing to the airport about your treatment and asking them about what their staff training around disability is?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I have a theory about such actions that I would like to share.

I believe that most healthy people labour under the delusion that everything can be treated and almost always cured. Therefore, someone sitting in a wheelchair or using a scooter (who is not old) hasn't had the treatment and must not be intelligent enough to ask for it.

That maybe seen as being more than a little belligerent but it's just an observation of the way I have been treated over the last 13 years since I became ill and it was diagnosed. Most likely people think that way in order to ignore the fact that it could happen to them also. Burying heads in sand seems popular now.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jen2609....I posted a very similar question in June last year about being treated almost as a 2nd class citizen because of my need to use a mobility scooter. It's a situation that doesn't only apply to airports but seems to be a situation that occurs wherever you go. I don't believe for a minute that they're being deliberately rude but yes, some extra information and training would help.  As always I sign off with     DLTBGTY. 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • jen2609
    jen2609 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Sam, thanks for your reply and link. Re writing to the airport, the last time I travelled was in May last year and when I returned I just wanted to forget about it. If I decide to travel by air this year I suppose I could write in advance, mentioning last year. Anything’s worth a try! 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Having have to use a mobility scooter to get about out of the house other than driving, I have found people supportive, helpful and not afraid to engage in conversation with me. Once they know of my disability a understanding comes to them as like cancer patients we all know someone what’s had or been treated for cancer, People who are MS sufferers come in all degrees of disability and ages and their diagnosis and prognosis is varid. With comments rangeing for another family member has MS or they know of someone.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Some is ignorance but alot is disability hate crime
     If theyv had a bsd day they KNOW they can display hate crime to disabled people and the law wont do anything to stop them.
    Whats needed if fir disability hate crime to be treated the same as racism.
    Lock them up and hate crime will reduce

Brightness