Struggling to work with fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to work with fibromyalgia

Parranquet
Parranquet Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2019 in Work and employment
I have Fibromyalgia and am struggling to work.Any medication that works makes me too drowsy to drive

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Parranquet, and a warm welcome to the community. Great to have you here!

I'm sorry to hear this. Are you employed at the moment? 
  • clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Hi .Not sure what drugs you are on.  I take duloxetine, long acting morphine and liquid morphine amongst others.  I always start a Friday night so I have the weekend to get used to them.  I have also had a couple of days sick sometimes or taken holiday so that my body can adjust.  So many drugs now cause tiredness and impact on your driving that I talk to my employer before I start them so if they desperately need me in for one week I start them the next week so I can get used to the side effects.   For me I find 2 weeks is the max time I need to know if a side effect is going to stay with me or if my body can get used to it.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Parranquet
    Welcome to the community, I know where you are coming from as I really have to manage my meds to be able to drive and work. It can be really difficult. 

Is your work supportive? Do you need to look into reasonable adjustments? Would flexible working hours or working from home be a possibility?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Parranquet
    Parranquet Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I am 55 and I work in the community as a home carer
    I travel between clients sonI have to be able to drive.I work 0650-1330 then 1620-2220  so quite a short overnight window for meds.Even co-codamol makes me drowsy so on work day I can only use paracetamol.I have a stomach ulcer so I can use Ibuprofen
    I spend £60 a month on 2 massages just to keep my knee and shoulder moving
  • clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    I use CBD oil which helps.  Not tried it but a lot of people use CBD oil balm - have to get the decent stuff so it's not cheap but apparently it really helps with joint pain.  Not sure I can name site but it's a UK one for CBD users and is run by someone called Charles.  I have had no side effects from the oil and I only buy from UK suppliers who can prove it meets current legislation as a food additive...so no THC and no high and no nasty mental health side effects.
  • DavidJohn1984
    DavidJohn1984 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi All,

@Parranquet there is another supplement that you can use called Celedrin it’s available as a balm and a tablet.

I was using the tablets but it started triggering my CVS and Reflux so Drs advised against it.

I have Fibromyalgia that is non responsive to opioids so I have to take Pregablin 150mg twice a day plus 20mg of Amatryptaline at night.

I did have some early success with a Tens machine but it only lasted a short time.

I was also a carer but I had to give it up a year ago.

Brightness