ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

Shediff
Shediff Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi folks, I had to give up work in 2014 due to ill health and I really don’t trust DWP, I think I was entitled to income related and contributory ESA for the first year. Could anyone confirm the criteria for that please because the ESA won’t. Thank you ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    Contributions based is where you've worked and paid enough NI contributions in the 2 years before your claim started.

Income related is means tested and household income, savings/capital, pensions and partner working are all things they look to be able to claim this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Shediff!
  • Shediff
    Shediff Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you ?
    My understanding is that in some cases you can claim both income and contributory for the first year, if eligible do you not the criteria for that.

Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    Contributions based is where you've worked and paid enough NI contributions in the 2 years before your claim started.

Income related is means tested and household income, savings/capital, pensions and partner working are all things they look to be able to claim this.
    The criteria is here and it's for both. If you're entitled to Contributions based this will always come first and this is paid for 365 days unless you were placed into the Support Group and it's paid for as long as you remain in the group.

The Income related top up as stated above will depend on all those factors. If any of those apply to you then this will affect any income related top up.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.