How can the DWP be allowed to stop the severe disability premium when someone is transferred to UC ? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can the DWP be allowed to stop the severe disability premium when someone is transferred to UC ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    There'll be a transitional protection payment for everyone to make sure they're not worse off but as i said it doesn't apply yet.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    I've heard transitional protection is only temporary though so will everyone lose that 'extra' money (sdp) what they would have got on esa or jsa? 
  • Alwaysone
    Alwaysone Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    kami24 said:
    I've heard transitional protection is only temporary though so will everyone lose that 'extra' money (sdp) what they would have got on esa or jsa? 
    As I understand,once in place, the UC element will increase yearly and the protected transitional element decreases accordingly.
  • kami24
    I see but is this from january 16th somebody put on here!! 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 172 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
  • kami24
    January 16th the deadline? What happens after that? 
  • kami24
    What a waste of money UC is...... Confusion, disasters, horror stories of how people become homeless on it. Should have never existed and 
  • Stickman
    Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    edited January 2019
    Hi mikehughescq

I came across that article yesterday.  Let's hope a rethink does happen. my benefits have gone right down.  I was denied PIP care componant in October last year, which means I've also  lost my Severe Disability Premium.  This is scary as I'm down £243.20 a fortnight!  I shall be reading the article again today with interest.  I used to be able to go out, do shopping, fill my car up with petrol and pay bills and rent
  • poppy123456
    The reason your money has dropped is because you weren't awarded the PIP daily living. This awarded is needed to be able to claim the SDP, which means it's totally different to what the link is all about.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Stickman
    I know it's totally different, but I'm hoping that now I may be get a similar benefit to top my money back up.
  • poppy123456
    Did you appeal the PIP decision? That's the only way that you'll receive that money. I'm not sure what you mean by a similar benefit to top your money up.
  • Stickman
    I have no professional body behind me to support me on this yet.  I will be making a phonecall to Headway, to see if they can help in any way.
  • Stickman
    edited January 2019
    OK, I have got in touch with Headway Birmingham and Solihul.  They will be getting back to me on this.  It may be the way forward I've been looking for.
  • Stickman
    I have spoken to Headway and they said they could help me on this.  I have an appointment to see someone at Headway on Tuesday.
  • Stickman

I had my meeting with someone at Headway today. 

I arrived at Headway House, which is in the grounds of Moseley Hall hospital, and was led into a room where we waited for my interviewer to turn up.   I went witb a friend.  We were offered a cup of tea while we waited.

My interviewer turned up five minutes later.    We sat down to have a chat about how to proceed with an appeal to see if I can get the Care Componant of my PIP back.  It would also be backdated to the date of when I lost my PIP.  There's no guarantee that I will get it back but I can try. 

I told them that I had written a long letter appealing against the decision but I hadn't sent it as I felt that I need some professional guidance, so we filled in a form to send to the appeal team - there was a section on the form where I could write why my appeal form was late.  It is now filled in and sent off.  A fee of £25 had to be paid which was done by FasTrak payment.

I now have to wait for a date when I will need to attend a tribunal in town at the small tribunals court which is just off Corpoation Street - round the corner from The Square Peg pub.  I opted to go in person as I decided it may be better to see a person face to face.  I have no idea how I'm going to get there though.  I think there are taxi ranks / bus stops outside the Square Peg.

• [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    Tribunal waiting times are huge in most areas and some are waiting as long as 1 year for a hearing date. They'll write to you in a couple of weeks, once you receive a letter you'll be able to ring HMCTS and ask what the current waiting times are for your area and they'll tell you approximately how long. Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.