Carers allowence and universal credits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowence and universal credits

pck1998
pck1998 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hi, I was working but I have to finish to care for my gran. I get £64 a week carers and I’ve recently found out about universal credits and I get £94 a month from that. For some reason this doesn’t seem accurate. My petrol to get to my grans every day takes up my weekly cost and the monthly uc is £94 so that doesn’t last long at all. I’m unsure if there’s anything else’s I could do for help, a friend was doing the same as me and was able to get a lot more than me 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
     Your carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount (£279 per month) Carers allowance then pay you the £64.30 per week because you can't be paid the carers allowance twice. UC should be adding a carers element of £156 per month.

How much standard allowance you're entitled to will depend on age. Any other elements you're entitled to will also depend on your circumstances and you can't compare yourself with someone else because circumstances maybe totally different.

With no information it's impossible to advise. Either pop your details into a benefit calculator or visit a local benefits advice agency near you for a full benefits check.

You also didn't need to claim carers allowance to claim the carers element of UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I’m going for assessment in morning drs letter states I can’t use my hands if I get rejected can I still claim can’t work as will need hands I can’t dress cook wash fasten shoes thank you
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    I’m going for assessment in morning drs letter states I can’t use my hands if I get rejected can I still claim can’t work as will need hands I can’t dress cook wash fasten shoes thank you
    I answered your question yesterday on your other thread here.

I totally understand you're nervous but there's nothing you can do until a decision's been made. Your ESA will continue until the decision is made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pck1998
    Thank you for your reply ! I’m finding it all so confusing !! Such a low amount to live off. But yes I get £64.30 but only 94 carers allowence.
  • poppy123456
    pck1998 said:
    Thank you for your reply ! I’m finding it all so confusing !! Such a low amount to live off. But yes I get £64.30 but only 94 carers allowence.
    £94 carers allowance is not correct. You'll receive the full amount of carers allowance paid by carers allowance, which is £64.30 per week.

Did you use the benefits calculator link i put above? Putting all your details into that will tell you how much you could claim.

As you haven't given any other information about your circumstances then it really is impossible to give you advice about how much you should be claiming.
  • pck1998
    Sorry typo!! I get £64 a week carers and £94 a month uc. Sorry for that 
  • pck1998
    Yes I used that it said I should be getting £56 a week carers and £56 a week uc 
  • pck1998
    I’m 20 at home with parents, I drive to my grans 6 days a week and I am there about 50 hours a week. I no longer work as it was impossible to live as I was down as an irregular earner. But now I have found it’s even harder. My gran is 86 and recieves a monthly allowence of a benefit also. I have no savings.
  • poppy123456
    pck1998 said:
    Yes I used that it said I should be getting £56 a week carers and £56 a week uc 
    That's not correct because carers allowance is £64.30 per week and not £56.

For UC because you're under 25 then you'll receive £251.77 per month. As you're claiming carers allowance, this is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC as a monthly payment it's £279. You'll then receive a carers premium of £156.45 per month.

Worked out as follows.
    £251.77 + £156.45 = £408.22 minus the carers allowance £279

Total UC £129.22 per month. You'll also receive £64.30 per week from carers allowance. It seems like UC are taking something from your UC per month. The difference between what you receive and what you should receive is £35 per month. You need to look at your online journal to see exactly what it says for your payments.

If your gran lives alone then it's possible that you claiming carers allowance for looking after her has drastically reduced her weekly money. A person living alone claiming a disability benefit like DLA or attendance allowance will be entitled to severe disability premium of £64.30 per week. If she did, then she would have lost this when you claimed the carers allowance.

Brightness