Backdated ESA disability premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated ESA disability premiums

bibz71
bibz71 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi.  I’m hoping someone can help. In November I was sent the letter regarding backdated premiums on Contributory ESA.  I filled in the form and sent it back straight away.  I have never heard anything back. I phoned this morning and the lady checked the system and said there were no notes to say they had received anything back! But that’s not to say that they definitely hadn’t?  As you can imagine I’m very frustrated by this as so much time has passed.   Has this happened to any one else?  The lady said she would request a duplicate form for me . Just in case...   confused.com
thanks in advance Bibz

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It can take 12 weeks to receive a decision on this because there's so many claims to go through. As they haven't received the form back then you can either ring back and ask to fill out the form over the phone or you can wait for a new form and fill it out again. If you do decide to fill out another form i'd advise you to photocopy the form before sending it. This way, if this happens again you'll have another to send, rather than having to fill another. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bibz71
    Hi Poppy.
    Thank you so much for replying.  I’m hoping and praying that it’s just not been marked up as received on the system and I don’t need to fill it in again. I think I’m dreaming there though! Although the lady I spoke to says this sometimes happens . If I do need to do it again I will definitely do it over the phone. I appreciate your advice x
  • jason12
    jason12 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited January 2019
    hi this is vivienne [name removed] power atorney for [name removed] claiming esa benfit he was on conibrutions one but had a letter back in november saying about the income related and preiums rate its been over 7 weeks now can you find out how far they have got and finding out about if i am having backdate aswell 
  • bibz71
    edited January 2019
    Hi Vivienne.
    I called ‭0800 169 0346‬ today and explained to the lady I sent back the form in November [name removed] She said she would check to see if it was registered as being received back. It wansnt but that wasn’t to say that they didn’t have it? She was emailing another department and if need be they would reissue the form. I’m actually so frustrated at this! They are quoting 12 weeks before you. Should expect to get a decision.  Give them a call Vivienne. They should be able to tell you something. Good luck.  
  • Amar82
    Amar82 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    hi i had my ESA3 form filled in over the phone on 14th Dec 18 rang up today and they told me that the it was looked at on January 10th 19 and its now been sent for checking checking what does this mean is it good or bad 
  • bibz71
    Hi Amar.
    i think the fact that it has been looked at so fast is a good thing.  But other than that it’s just a waiting game. Did they give you any time frame at all?  Good luck and I hope you get your answer soon. 
  • Amar82
    thanks they said its been sent to the processing team do you think its a large amount cus i called them to start the process and they got stuff morning pritty Sharp 
  • bibz71
    Hi Amar. 
    I hope so! It will depend when you moved onto contribution Esa from incapacity.  In my case it was 2010 . Good luck 
  • Amar82
    thanks in my case was nov 13
  • bibz71
    Well i don’t know exact figures but if you are entitled to it it will be more than £5000 possibly much more. Good luck. 
  • poppy123456
    12 weeks is the guideline for timescales. Whether you're entitled to any Income related top up will depend on your circumstances from the dates they're assessing you. Household income, savings, capital, pensions, transitional support protection are all the things they look at when assessing you.

They are backdating only to November 2011 or when you transferred to ESA from IB, if the date was later than that.

There's 2 disability premiums payable on ESA, the Enhanced (£16.40 per week) from April 2018, less in previous years and Severe disability premium (SDP)  (£64.30 per week) from April 2018, less in previous years. The SDP does have specific criteria to be eligible. For this you need to be claiming either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care. No one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone, or be classed as living alone. If this doesn't apply to you then you won't be eligible for this premium.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    Are claimants moved from Contribution based to Income related after their claim has been assessed? 
  • poppy123456
    That will depend on circumstances, Contributions based always comes before Income related.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.