Granddaughter's Absence From School due to anxiety attacks. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Granddaughter's Absence From School due to anxiety attacks.

Pol
Pol Community member Posts: 10 Listener
My 11 year old granddaughter has been having very severe anxiety attacks and kicks and screaming being taken to school. As a result she has been absent from school for the past few weeks. Her mum (my daughter) and her partner have taken my granddaughter to the GP surgery to discuss the problems and they are also waiting for a mental health referral, but due to the high demand in this area, it is taking a long time to be arranged. Now the school want my daughter and her partner to go before a panel to discuss the absences. The GP surgery has refused to give a letter of support as most of the visits were to see a locum doctor rather than the designated GP. The only other supporting evidence they have is the letter informing them of the mental health referral. They are obviously extremely worried that the school will take punitive action against them and they have never faced anything like this before. What should they do? Any practical information I could pass on to them would be very useful!

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pol

You don't say when the panel is meeting. However assuming this will be soon I would strongly recommend they contact IPSEA to see where they stand. 

Telephone: 01799 582030 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm)

They can find out more about IPSEA at https://www.ipsea.org.uk

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear this @Pol, it sounds like a difficult situation for you all and I'm sorry your daughter is having to face this alongside everything else. You've had some good advice above for moving forwards, and please do keep us updated.

Brightness