Please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help

Options
Jade08
Jade08 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hello, 
i ve received my report and been awarded 8 points for mobility, I struggle to walk because of my asthma and other health problems. I stop after 7 meters and just about do 11 meters. The assessor has written I can walk 11 meters and been given 8 points. That's wrong. What do I do. I have not received the DWP decision yet.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will have to wait for the official award notification letter then if you don't agree put in for a MR and after that s tribural hearing. I take it you have a copy of your acessment report by the information you posted.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jade08 said:
    Hello, 
    i ve received my report and been awarded 8 points for mobility, I struggle to walk because of my asthma and other health problems. I stop after 7 meters and just about do 11 meters. The assessor has written I can walk 11 meters and been given 8 points. That's wrong. What do I do. I have not received the DWP decision yet.

The assessor may well have written that down but it still doesn't mean that they believed you. They have their own opinion notwithstanding what you say.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

If you’ve been awarded 8 points then the assessor has concluded that you can walk more than 20 metres, but less than 50 metres.

If this is not the case you can ask for a Mandatory review (MR) once you’ve had your decision letter.

I would study the PIP descriptor for mobility closely, and give some detailed examples of what happens when you try to get up and walk. Take into account the ‘reliability’ criteria i.e.”safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly, in a reasonable time.’ [the descriptors, and the reliability criteria are on the DWP website]

You say that you can walk 11 metres, with a stop. Ask yourself the following:-

If you walk 11 metres,can you walk back again? [repeatedly]

Have you any idea at what speed you walk? Try and get some rough timings. If you walk at less than half the pace of an unimpaired person then this is not “in a reasonable time”( include the stop time as part of your walk)

If you walked 11 metres, and then had a rest, how long would it be before you would be able to walk again? [repeatedly] 

Does walking make your asthma worse? Does getting up from seated make it worse? How far can you walk without it becoming worse [safely]

What is the furthest distance that you can walk, in a reasonable time, without your asthma becoming so bad that it’s unsafe (if this is the case) and that you could repeat several times a day after a rest?

I hope that this helps.

Good luck

By the way, are you aware that if you score 8 points you should get a mobility award at the lower rate?

• Jade08
    Jade08 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    yes I have copy of my report Wilko.
    I struggle with 11 meters, I stop and use my inhalers and need to lean on someone or something. I then need to catch my breath before continuing to walk. If I’m going to shops with my husband it takes us twice as long. And even then we don’t get everything done.
    I work 4 hours in an office for 3 days, and when I return home I need a rest as I am so tired that I can’t do anything else for the rest of the day.
    I'm on more inhalers now but before I was at my GP every week using the nebuliser.

thank you to everyone for support.x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.