Over payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Over payments

SHEILAASH
SHEILAASH Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Receive letter from esa Nov 2018 saying that they have been over paid me from 2016. This has given me a debt to the council of over £3,ooo. I was genuinely unaware of these overpayments and have requested that they date from 2018 which will leave me free from this debt as I am already in debt and I am part of a debt management programme.I am disabled and receive pip allowance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Usually an overpayment needs to be repaid back, unfortunately. You should also get some face to face advice about this from your local advice centre.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @SHEILAASH! I'm sorry to hear this. It definitely sounds as though some face to face advice would be best in this case.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    If the overpayment was an error on the DWP side and was not easily noticed by yourself and this proveable then get some professional advice as if it DWP fault you may not have to repay their wrongly overpayment but if you whete aware of the overpayment and did nothing about it, it is a totally different matter.
  • SHEILAASH
    SHEILAASH Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.