My experience with the benefits system — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My experience with the benefits system

Options
Gary01522
Gary01522 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
Sorry  But I am very distrusting of the benefits system.
I was on disablitiy Living allowance top rate for many years, the last Dr to test me said I would be on it for life. my conditions would only get worse,, But when PIP came through. I lost around£135 a month.
   I have nightmares when get those brown envelopes this one ESA3 (IBR)
  I would have contested the drop on personal allowance to the medium rate. but the guy lied and twisted my condition. after sending my wife to get prescriptions, which he did not want or use.
    That drop would probably count in assesments of my condition and my wifes Carers allowance.
I really get scared talking or writting on forms my wifes has to do them for me

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gary01522, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm so sorry to hear about your PIP experiences. That must have been really tough. Are you considering taking things any further at the moment?
  • Gary01522
    Options
    At this point in time. I do not trust the present system. On paper I should be on the top allowance but those brown envelope petrify me. 
       The last time when I filled the Dissaibility allowance form, Age UK helped a lot and filled the form in for me 
       I cannot fill in forms I and my wife both have fibromyalgia i have athritis. and writting of any length hurts me to much. my wife does a lot of writing for me.
         I am waiting for my Drs appointment 11 feb. I keep getting a form of turrets without swearing.
       I have received ESA3 Age Uk say its unusual to get this form at my age and not working for 20 years.I am afraid they are trying to reduce my payments. sorry for the ramble but I do when i am frightened
  • Pippa_Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options
    No need to apologise @Gary01522, the benefits process can feel really overwhelming at times. I'm sure many of our members will be able to empathise with how you feel.

Are Age UK supporting you with your forms this time around too? 
  • Gary01522
    Options
    No its not in their help schemes

• Gary01522
    Options
    DWP have chased me up allready about my process

• Gary01522
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I noticed some one was overpaid.
     I do not believe what the DWP say they that they  may owe me some funds.not with the cost cutting process. they do not give away funds. this is making me very affraid.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that @Gary01522. It might be worth seeing if your local Citizens Advice can help you with your forms instead. You can find your local service on their website here. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The ESA3 form is being sent to those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA many years ago. They're send it to everyone that transferred across. I'm not sure why ageUK have given you the advice they did because it's not correct. There's was a mistake made by DWP when people transferred across and they weren't assessed for any income related top up, they were automatically placed onto Contributions based ESA, regardless of their circumstances.

It's really not about trusting the DWP with the form they sent. It's about being assessed for the income related top up. Thousands of people have received back dated money of several thousands of pounds. If you don't fill it in and return it DWP can assess you for this income related top up. A decision can take 12 weeks but it's certainly worth filling it in an returning it. Not everyone is owed money but 1000's are.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gary01522
    Options
    You have been really helpful and relieved a lot of worry and concern.
    After your advice I will fill in the form.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.