I'm not sure what happens now with Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm not sure what happens now with Universal Credit

jameseli
jameseli Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited January 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I’m new and hoping someone may be able to help.  I am currently on universal credit 9 months, but 6 months ago I was taken ill.  I had to go for a assessment dwp the doctor was very nice and understanding I have never been to an assessment before. Anyway he has said I am unfit for work and possibly review in a year. I have never claimed benefits so I’m not sure what happens now will I get less money more money the same.  Will the dwp tell me.  Sorry for long post but a little confused 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Whether you get more money will depend on what the decision was and what you've been given. LCW there won't be any extra money each month and you'll remain on the same amount. LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £328 per month and this starts from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent in your first sick note.

Who's told you, you're unfit for work? The person doing the assessment or a DWP decision maker? The decision has to be made by a DWP decision maker and not the HCP at the assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jameseli
    Thank you for replying. It was the WCA man that said he is recommending to dwp that I won’t be fit for work I have a heart problem and fistula several operations no success embarrassing as leak all the time and change of clothes few times a day sitting is so painful 
  • poppy123456
    The HCPs are not supposed to tell you anything like this. What they write in the report is just a recommendation. You'll have to wait for the decision to be made and only the decision maker can make this decision. Hopefully you'll receive this soon. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jameseli
    Thank you for your help, I’m not sure how long it takes weeks or months. 
  • poppy123456
    There's no time scales to any decision. You can request a copy of the assessment report yo be sent to you, if you live in the UK. That will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report.
  • jameseli
    Thank you poppy I rang and they said until a decision is made I won’t be able to get a copy.  I am universal credit and to be honest I spoke to 2 different people and they both said the same 
  • DavidJohn1984
    DavidJohn1984 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    @poppy123456

When I had my WCA I was told you can’t request a copy of the report?

My Assessor also told me that he was making a recommendation for not fit for work too.

They did find me unfit, took me two months to hear back.

Then the DWP tried to take all my back pay for an overpayment that was their fault.
  • poppy123456
    @poppy123456

When I had my WCA I was told you can’t request a copy of the report?

My Assessor also told me that he was making a recommendation for not fit for work too.

They did find me unfit, took me two months to hear back.

Then the DWP tried to take all my back pay for an overpayment that was their fault.
    Never believe everything they tell you. You can have a copy of the assessment report before a decision is made. I've had 3 ESA assessments and 3 PIP and i've received a copy of all my assessment reports before the decision's been made.

The reason why the HCP is not supposed to say anything to you is because it's not their place to tell you. I've heard lots of stories where people have been told this and they've been stabbed in the back when they've received the report.
  • DavidJohn1984
    @poppy123456

How do you request them?

mines a bit late now

But I rang ATOS and they said for data protection they didn’t keep them once sent to DWP

DWP told me once they had made a decision on your WCA they also destroyed the report?
  • poppy123456
    Ring DWP, you were incorrectly advised they dont destroy them once a decision is made. They're kept for at least a few years possibly longer.
  • DavidJohn1984
    @poppy123456

Thank you

i’ll try this on Monday.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.