Can I reapply? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I reapply?

Harley_Quinn
Harley_Quinn Community member Posts: 27 Connected
I applied for PIP last year. I have Autism Spectrum Disorder, anxiety, mild cerebral palsy and hydrocephalus.  The man doing the assessment didn't seem interested in what I was saying, like if it didn't happen yesterday it wasn't important - but if those things hadn't happened then I wouldn't have issues now. He judged me on the 2 minutes walk from waiting room to his office, exercises lying down and seemed to coax the answers he wanted by the way he kept interrupting me and wording the questions differently.  I could not have completed those exercises standing, only because I had something to hold me up. When I got home I felt like I'd been walking for days - I can't walk too fast, to keep up with someone, for example/jog or run - without an intense burning pain in my shins, I wear insoles to straighten my feet - if I don't they lean inwards when I walk and I walk on my tiptoes, my shoes last me a few months at best. I had splints, physio and hydrotherapy as a child to try and correct this and should've received surgery to cut and stretch my tendons but my parents were wanting to try and avoid putting me through this. As for the asd/anxiety, he said I was fine although I didn't make eye contact, had earplugs in and used my fidget stim toy the whole time. I cannot deal with change, have sensory issues and have ocd traits with cleanliness and eating which often disrupts my day and I have to be reminded of what I'm doing. I barely leave the house. I applied for a mandatory reconsideration and got the same result. I just feel like I'm not getting my difficulties acknowledged, like I "don't look disabled enough" for help - these are invisible disabilities. If people could see what my head had to deal with daily with tasks that people do without thinking and feeling like I've been hit by a bus after a day out, then they'd maybe understand? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,936 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

When was the decision made on the PIP? Did you request the Mandatory reconsideration/Tribunal?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Harley_Quinn
    @poppy123456 I have had my mandatory reconsideration outcome late October 
  • poppy123456
    Put in a late request for the MR stating the reasons why you're late. You have 13 months to request it, with good reason. Once you have the decision, if it's stayed the same it Tribunal.

Pointless starting a new claim using the dame evidence you recently used because there's a high chance you'll be refused again.

When you write the MR you should state what you disagree with, where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for all the descriptors that apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Harley_Quinn
    @poppy123456 I have an answer from the man tory reconsideration already, they gave me the same 2 points I received for my initial application. I went to citizens advice and they helped me write why I disagreed and examples of how things affect me
  • poppy123456
    Then you need to request the Tribunal by filling out the SSCS1 form.
  • Harley_Quinn
    @poppy123456 will I not be out of the time frame for that, though - how do I get this form please? What happens at a tribunal? 
  • poppy123456
    No, you have 13 months to request the Tribunal. As you're past the initial 1 month then just put the reasons why you're late.
    Link here for advise on how to request the Tribunal.

Link explains a Tribunal hearing

• patriciahendy
    patriciahendy Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    This government and the DWP are evil and discriminatory. Why has the law allowed this scandalous, not fit for purpose system to continue for so long? £700 million of tax payers cash  to "assessment" companies. Our dear friend Jan lost her mobility component  recently although her condition is deteriorating. It seems that if a client can walk a short distance and then fall flat on their face they are deemed to be ok. She now awaits the MR reply, is a tax payer and almost 70 years old. A very senior member of the labour party informed me that their government would scrap this vile system, also bedroom tax. Lastly, Jan and I checked the national register for her "assessors" qualifications and guess what? They were not listed on the register!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    This government and the DWP are evil and discriminatory. Why has the law allowed this scandalous, not fit for purpose system to continue for so long? £700 million of tax payers cash  to "assessment" companies. Our dear friend Jan lost her mobility component  recently although her condition is deteriorating. It seems that if a client can walk a short distance and then fall flat on their face they are deemed to be ok. She now awaits the MR reply, is a tax payer and almost 70 years old. A very senior member of the labour party informed me that their government would scrap this vile system, also bedroom tax. Lastly, Jan and I checked the national register for her "assessors" qualifications and guess what? They were not listed on the register!
    What I can say in defence of the system, which is wholly unusual for me, is that the vast majority of claimants for PIP have no problems and are awarded the correct level of PIP without any issues.
    It is only a very small percentage that have difficulties - which also includes me.
  • stree
    stree Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    and me, and countless others who process their claim without issue therefore have no need to come on these forums apart from to advise others.
    As for the political side: Labour started the whole thing off with ESA.
  • poppy123456
    stree said:
    and me, and countless others who process their claim without issue therefore have no need to come on these forums apart from to advise others.
    Same here, never had a problem with ESA or PIP. Was refused DLA just before PIP came out. Applied for PIP and was awarded. Same for my daughter, i applied for her last year and she was also successful first time.

As has been said many times, you hardly ever hear the good stories.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    stree said:
    Something that the Corbynites should well remember! Mind you the LibDems were involved as well and when the Tories got into power they too thought that it was a damn good idea so mirrored PIP on it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.