p.i.p. descriptors set out in pip application. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

p.i.p. descriptors set out in pip application.

samantha21
samantha21 Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
Hi All.

I have just been looking through my assessors report and my actual pip application.
In my pip application for Question 9  Communicating which is about difficulties with speech hearing and understanding what is being said.
I am okay with that question.

In my assessors report Question 9 is Titled  Engaging with others face to face.
Does anyone know why the pip questionnaire is different to the assessors question 9.

The assessor wrote in her question 9 box she interacted well with me and was talkative.
 T only time I spoke was to answer her questions.
help appreciated.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, the moment you meet the acessor your acessment has begun anything you do say may and will be used to acess you so if you are just have a chat about what you saw on the TV last night nothing to do with the PIP descriptors, the fact that you engaged in conversation with the acessor will provide an answer to question 9. And you did even realise you have answered the question before being asked. Call it cunning, under handed but it proof that you can interate, engage with other people. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They mean the same thing just worded differently. Engaging with others is communicating. You said you're ok at doing this. The HCP also reported that you interacted well because you answered the questions. Even though all you did was answer the questions you still engaged with them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • samantha21
    Hi All,
      Thank-you for the replies. The reply from poppy123456 with the added links is so helpful.
    I do not know how you keep up with all the descriptors it is a heavy load on the brain for me.
    Also Wilko thank-you for the reply I know what you mean about the minute you meet the assessor the assessment has begun, I did not engage in any flippant chat to her she said hello and took me to the assessment room. I was asked if I was having a good day. I replied no I am not having a good day as the early appointment meant I had no time for breakfast and no time to take a shower as my condition slows me down with everything in mornings. I had an appointment booked with her for 10.15am and was not called into appointment until 11.25am, but she did not document that in my report.

I am going over the links from poppy again as many things in her report are crazy, I told DWP about monitoring medications and therapies , which is something I do in a home setting. I have CBT therapy and also take medication. The assessor marked does not receive medication or need to monitor a health condition, and said she could not see any signs of cognitive impairment. she said she knows I drive so that means I have adequate cognitive ability to manage medication reliably.Well if she ticked the box that I do not receive medication then why is she later saying I have the cognitive ability to manage medication safely. It all goes over my head a bit the more I try to understand the more muddled I become.
    thanks all anyway.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    I believe that not having medication to take, and managing medication safely yourself, are counted as the same thing. Neither score any points for PIP purposes...

• poppy123456
    Activity3..  managing or monitoring a health condition, to score anymore than 1 point then the therapy you receive must prescribed or recommended by a registered doctor, nurse, pharmacist or health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council.

Without any of which their health is likely to deteriorate.

This activity only applies to therapy in the home environment i.e. where the claimant lives (and may include care homes).

Driving could well be a sign that you don't have any cognitive impairment. They would most likely think that because driving takes a lot of thinking, memory, concentration and paying attention to your surroundings.

They are observing you throughout the assessment and you wouldn't have realised this at the time.

The question is, did you add up the scores that were recommended in the report? There should be boxes with either dots or ticks next to them. Usually they go with the report, it's rare to go against it.

• samantha21
    Hi All,  In answer to poppy for activity 3,  I do receive medication and have to manage a therapy/health condition in a home setting. The therapy/ condition is under mental health issues where I have done on-line CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) for over five months and still at the moment the CBT is on talking therapies one to one as the on-line work is very intense. In fact the practitioner wants me to do more CBT on-line for insomnia as I also have a sleep problem she is giving me until the end of the month to think about that as they know I have had a hard time most of last year
    I was referred to mental health services from the G.P and have been treated by Psychologists through that agency. All of this is under NHS and is regulated under
    Health Professions Council. My health would have badly deteriorated without the excellent support and help I received and I am at last feeling a little better, albeit without all this extra stress this PIP is giving me, At one point last year I was in the darkest of places I have ever been and my thoughts revolved around the ideas that it would be better if I was no longer living. Shocking thoughts to be in ones head and I am out of those thoughts now and only want to stay well also I do not like discussing thoughts and mental issues too much because I had a trainee psychological practitioner for a few weeks and when I told her I did not feel life was worth living she actually started to cry and it made me feel so bad she was upset that I made a decision there and then that indeed lifer is worth living no matter what is happening.

In answer to adding up the scores she has marked most of them very low support needed and from her report I am likely to get no points even though most of her report is lies so I am still considering reporting her to NMC as incompetent. I know it will not change the report but I will feel a lot better to bring to light how these employers at Atos have no concern for us as human beings. 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear all of that.

Whether or not you'll score points in that activity i don't know. If you need prompting, supervision or assistance to do it then you could argue your case, otherwise you may find it difficult. If you can then 2 points could be possible for no more than 3.5 hours of therapy each week.

If the decision goes with the report then MR is first step and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. You'll need to put your request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Giving 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

I'd advise contacting your local welfare rights or law centre for face to face advice.

Good luck.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

Driving could well be a sign that you don't have any cognitive impairment. They would most likely think that because driving takes a lot of thinking, memory, concentration and paying attention to your surroundings. 

In addition to having a clear and active mind you need to have a certain amount of control of hands, arms and feet to be able to control the vehicle.

I was asked if I drive. I said no I don't. But you must have a driving licence that means that you could drive was the next question.

I did have but it was surrendered on advice from my GP a while back.
    But you must be able to get it back if you requested it?
    I suppose so but I am not interested in driving - my wife does the driving.

To be honest she didn't appear to believe me and was most put out with my answers
    In my report at the time she recorded that I could drive a motor vehicle but chose no to - not exactly what I had told her!
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 and @yadnad

I think you are both right as regards the perceived link between driving/ cognition.

I gave examples of how I have difficulty counting/ calculating my change in a shop, essentially because of poor memory.The assessor concluded that I must be able to check my change etc because I am able to drive a car!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.