New to using a wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to using a wheelchair

Options
Debgail
Debgail Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I have had to start using a wheelchair when I'm out and about, for instance when going in to town. As I can no longer walk far due to the Pain I've used a walking stick for years now. The chair is a one my husband pushes. I am finding this very hard to get cope with. I feel embarrassed, I feel like I'm given in to my disease, I have Ankylosing spondylitis and Osteoarthritis I can't get the thought out of my head that I've let people down cos I'm now using a chair and having to rely on my husband. I'm wondering how people cope with such a lifestyle change and can you offer me advice on how to cope or where to get help please. Thank you. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear how you are feeling @Debgail

I felt exactly the same as you when I first had a manual wheelchair, I was depressed because it made me realise how much of my mobility I had lost. A powered wheelchair is a complete gamechanger! It gave me my independence and freedom back! Have you spoken to your GP about being referred to NHS Wheelchair Services? They will assess you and find the best chair that is best suited to you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness