Why are some people so ignorant ?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why are some people so ignorant ??

Options
goblinqueen
goblinqueen Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Has anyone else had the "we've never heard of your condition , you don't  look disabled scenerio " ? 
Having Polyradiculopathy I look ok , I'm not in a wheelchair YET , apart from my limp (which is getting worse) and the fact that walking a short distance I'm close to tears, I've a disabled rail card and more than once I've had from booking office staff "is this yours you don't look disabled" and in the case of an ignorant ******** at the local council , spoke to them about my council tax and explained I have a disability his reply well I have never heard of that you must be making it up. 
Till the diagnosis I had never heard of it either 

Comments

• stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Yes had the “you don’t look ill “ treatment,it’s sad that we have these people who have X ray eyes but empty heads ...think they can diagnose an illness at a glance.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No you don’t look disabled. You look so well, what is your disability? My reply is sometimes depending on who it is asking, is you don’t look ignorant but you are. There the prahse hidden disability 
  • goblinqueen
    Options
    I find as well you sit on one of the seats on a bus for disabled people the looks you get from pensioners are disgusting , I’ve even been told to move as I’m not entitled to sit there - even showing them the bus pass they don’t like it , one woman actually sat making snide comments in a very loud voice about fake disabilities so I just tapped her on the shoulder and said I may not be perfect but at least not you 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello @goblinqueen Pleased to meet you .

Sorry what you are going through.  I do understand as it happening more and more.

I still get the looks and stares as my disability is evident.  All out in the open you can see.

Ones of the big issues problems in our community. How as a people we are judged by those who are naïve, ignorant or have the audacity to say hurtful remarks.

Have to say the encounter you had with the council official no need for that at all.  Make a complaint I would.

One aspect of the term disabled is just so vast wide spectrum.

As a community champion on this forum meet so many wonderful amazing people. Who have had their illness or condition diagnosed and are often having problems of acceptance.

Coming to terms with the new emotions, feelings they are experiencing.

Many conditions, illness and disability that come onto the community are new to myself.

I have to find information, support and advice to help and guide that new member.

On the very rare occasion will have to ask the new member to tell her or himself about the condition or illness or disability.

In the hope to give others who are similar a hand of friendship.  Be supportive.

All I add is we as a community are here to help and be supportive. Want you feel comfortable.  

Please ask anything. If you need some one to chat to always some one here to listen.

I use this forum to help and support my self plus give my time and energy to members who like yourself.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • goblinqueen
    Options
    Thank you for that , I did put a complaint and his manager rang on Friday to apologise , he actually told her when he was confronted that he'd never heard of such a thing so it must have been made up - would love for him to spend a day in my shoes when things are really bad , 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would probably say I don't know you are you qualified to make that diagnosis?  Lol
  • happy91
    happy91 Community member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi have definitely experienced this. Have a disability in legs, get chronic pain from standing and walking. I lean on things often but try not to use walking aids or a wheelchair as can create muscle wastage. Had old ladies looking at me in disgust because I've rushed on the bus before them to sit down because I'm in agony from standing. Have a bus pass. Had many people, even social workers who were supported to support me look at me judgementally like "you're not really suffering are you?". Only you know truly what you are going through. 9/10 those people who judge you, will you know them in 5 years time? No. Focus on you, getting your needs met and anyone who gives a damn enough about you will take the time to get to know you and ask questions rather than judge.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean guys ...I stopped driving 18 months ago due to my illnesses....I was glad to see signs going up in various places like outside disabled toilets etc ....these sings read " Remember that not all disabilities are visible " ....it was nice to see such acknowledgement   . I have a few disabilities but now I look a bit older it seems to be accepted that I use a walking stick etc ...I seldom leave the house these days but I,m lucky as our son gets what we need from shops ect . ...although the new manageress in the garage across from us went totally over the top at my son when he parked at the garage for ten minutes ( in the car park for patrons) ...he parked there so I would not need to walk far to the car . Some people just don,t understand having a disability . I only hope such people do not get affected with a disability themselves . 
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi goblinqueen I know exactly what you mean and do not know when I was growing up and my sisters my mum and dad told us to be kind to every one and never judge people as its better to be nice and kind and respect people and that's how I try to live my life. All the best 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
     I think if you have an invisible disability people assume there is nothing wrong with you! we have probably all heard someone say you don't look disabled! I have spina bifida, scoliosis, me, cervical spondylosis and osteoarthritis and am not in a wheelchair yet. people are surprised when I tell them I am on disability benefits. I can sometimes see them looking me up and down and even if they don't say anything you can see they are think you are not disabled.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    wilko said:
    No you don’t look disabled. You look so well, what is your disability? My reply is sometimes depending on who it is asking, is you don’t look ignorant but you are. There the prahse hidden disability 
    @wilko I think people are ignorant for reporting harmless meaningful threads too. You may understand why some people do that because of jealousy ?

People outside start insulting and backstabbing me I will tell them the truth and I would show no mercy in doing so either you get my point.??
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Brightness