Exercise — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Exercise

Options
von5
von5 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Having lived with rheumatoid arthritis for 40+ years, following four hip replacements and two knee replacements I've always managed to regain a reasonable level of mobility. That is until I had to undergo spinal fusion five years ago. I really struggle to stand for more than a couple if minutes and if I set off walking I feel my core muscles are too weak to keep my upright for long. Does anyone know of or use an exercise regime other than swimming that can help me rebuild core strength. Typucally I suffer from other movement restrictions and muscle weakness which hinder me too, any ideas would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @von5, and a warm welcome to the community! Hopefully our members will be able to offer you some suggestions. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @von5
    There is an article about exercise and rheumatoid arthritis here that might help, but you should probably speak to a medical professional before starting an exercise regime as you have so many health issues.  Good luck!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome, first thing get a referral from your GP to a Physiothest fo an acessment and advise on what’s best or suitable exercises for a person with your conditions. You don’t want to make you complaint worst or injury to yourself by falling.
  • AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @von5 pilates pilates pilates seriously has changed my life. It definatly strengthens the core and is great for anyone with any form arthritis or like me Ankylosing Spondylitis. The important thing like any exercise is know your body and know when to stop.
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello @von5 Have you contacted your local council well being for health. Under community health.

Can do an evaluation on how you can help yourself . Looking at fitness and diet.

I used this after addiction been had muscle weakness.

Contacted them through my support worker.

Very good, tolerant and patient.

Can help with sign posting to other things that can help and guide you.

To looking at your health. At your own pace.

Something to consider. Your Doctor may advise you more.

Wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness