How do I claim backdated payments? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I claim backdated payments?

Kel98
Kel98 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have jyst won a dla a claim from August 2018.i have lost payments monthly payment. Which is a 300 payment.and then when dla. Went into pip I got chucked off pip.as never had enough points at the interview with a doctor.i actual come under the bracket of no disabled points no  mobility points but. got  most back.i can't pay bills and serve debt.as the payments was took last year.how do I now claim the money that was owed from August 2018.will I even get back dated payments.?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited January 2019
    Hi @kel98

How are you doing today?

Congratulations on winning your DLA claim and sorry to hear what you went through concerning PIP. Our members will be able to advise you better soon, who may have been through this as well. 

You may find the Citizen Advice website useful.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Do you mean you went to Tribunal and won the PIP? DLA doesn't exist for you now because you were invited to apply for PIP. What ever you were awarded at the Tribunal will be backdated to the date of the original PIP decision. You won't be back dated any money from your previous DLA award, even if the new PIP award is less than what you were claiming with DLA.

After winning a Tribunal it can take 8 weeks to receive any backdated money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    May i ask what you were awarded at the Tribunal?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • hunnibuk2
    hunnibuk2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I was previously on lower rate DLA for both components..
    I had to put in a PiP claim in December 2013.. 
    It took 9 months for my claim to be dealt with, this was due to a backlog of 250,000 claims...
    I was awarded higher rate mobility & higher rate daily living.. 
    I suffered a severe financial detriment due to the amount of time it took to deal with my claim... 
    I was never awarded any backdate due to my DLA claim being carried on..The DWP even extended my DLA claim despite the fact it was due to run out in March 2014...
    Due to my ASD & other pyschological issues, I wasn't well enough to challenge the DWP... Does anyone think I could make a claim for the difference in benefits that I lost out on? It was not my fault the DWP had a huge backlog... My physical health had deteriorated too..I was having to pay for help at home & taxis everywhere etc etc etc.. 
    If my claim had been dealt with sooner, I would have been able to manage to pay for more help..
    Jackie x
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    hunnibuk2 said:
    It took 9 months for my claim to be dealt with, this was due to a backlog of 250,000 claims...
    I suffered a severe financial detriment due to the amount of time it took to deal with my claim... 
    I was never awarded any backdate due to my DLA claim being carried on..The DWP even extended my DLA claim despite the fact it was due to run out in March 2014...
    Due to my ASD & other pyschological issues, I wasn't well enough to challenge the DWP... Does anyone think I could make a claim for the difference in benefits that I lost out on? It was not my fault the DWP had a huge backlog... My physical health had deteriorated too..I was having to pay for help at home & taxis everywhere etc etc etc.. 
    If my claim had been dealt with sooner, I would have been able to manage to pay for more help..
    Jackie x
    When transferring from DLA to PIP, no one is backdated any money even if the PIP award is higher than the DLA award, i'm afraid.

It would be exactly the same if a person was claiming a higher DLA award and the PIP award was lower, DWP wouldn't expect you to pay them back the extra DLA payments you received while waiting for the PIP decision. I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @hunnibuk2. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, that must have been so frustrating. Just to clarify, are you still entitled to any benefits as of now?
  • wazza57
    wazza57 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    hunnibuk2 said:
    Jackie x
    When transferring from DLA to PIP, no one is backdated any money even if the PIP award is higher than the DLA award, i'm afraid.

It would be exactly the same if a person was claiming a higher DLA award and the PIP award was lower, DWP wouldn't expect you to pay them back the extra DLA payments you received while waiting for the PIP decision. I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that.
    Hi may i ask a questiin please, ive been claiming pip since i was migrated over from DLA 5 years ago 2019 i was aworded pip Standard daily liveing and enhanced mobility....i filled my review form back in august 2021 sent next day....i had my reveiw asessment 3 weeks ago and just receaved the assessors report ( no lies verry in deatail described all my health problems ) and ive now got high points on nearly all of them...basicly enhanced of daily liveing now ie both...what im asking is i was told that it will be backdated from when i first made my claim..does this meen from 2019 when i first made my claim or from 2021 when i sent my review form back? Please can you tell me as im confused thankyou x
  • poppy123456
    wazza57 said:
    hunnibuk2 said:
    Jackie x

Hi may i ask a questiin please, ive been claiming pip since i was migrated over from DLA 5 years ago 2019 i was aworded pip Standard daily liveing and enhanced mobility....i filled my review form back in august 2021 sent next day....i had my reveiw asessment 3 weeks ago and just receaved the assessors report ( no lies verry in deatail described all my health problems ) and ive now got high points on nearly all of them...basicly enhanced of daily liveing now ie both...what im asking is i was told that it will be backdated from when i first made my claim..does this meen from 2019 when i first made my claim or from 2021 when i sent my review form back? Please can you tell me as im confused thankyou x

The report isn't the decision, it's a recommendation only. They mostly go with the report but not always and it has been known for them to go against it.
    If the decision is Enhanced for both parts then you will not receive money owed from 2019. Usually if it's a review started by DWP then they don't usually owe any money, as the extra money is usually from when the decision was made.
    However, because of the backlogs they are backdating some awards to an earlier date (potentially when you returned the forms.) You'll just need to wait for the decision.
  • wazza57
    I reterned my review form in august 2021,and i had my assessment 3 weeks ago if they ignore the assessors report ill fight it because there was so meany lies in my fist assessers report when first claiming pip and i was aworded the rong amount of daily liveing nouthing has chainged meany health issues and all are life long too....im hopeing i get an honest decition maker and aworded high for both this time..if they dont always aword what the report say thats just rong haveing to sit them assessments is stressful enough without haveing to be robbed of money that you rightfuly deserve...i thought that decsition makers aword you by the reports..my suport worker told me yesterday that they will backdate it to august 2021 when i sent my review form back..she said i should receave the backpayment befor the decsition letter wich could take a while upto 12 weeks...grait more waiting 🙄 thankyou for your reply 
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2023
    I did adivse that they mostly go with it but not always (it's rare they go against it). The report is not the decision, it's a recommendation.

Your support worker isn't exactly correct because they don't always owe money if there's a higher award. We've had some members that have received money owed and some haven't, when it's a revew started by DWP.
  • wazza57
    wazza57 said:
    hunnibuk2 said:
    Jackie x

The report isn't the decision, it's a recommendation only. They mostly go with the report but not always and it has been known for them to go against it.
    If the decision is Enhanced for both parts then you will not receive money owed from 2019. Usually if it's a review started by DWP then they don't usually owe any money, as the extra money is usually from when the decision was made.
    However, because of the backlogs they are backdating some awards to an earlier date (potentially when you returned the forms.) You'll just need to wait for the decision.
    My suport worker told me they will backdate it from when i sent my review form back in 2021...shes from a verry well known orgeniseation i asked her yesterday and she said they go on all the evedence and make the decsiton....because the assessors report has almost the same in my form and all my medical evedence i will be aworded enhanced for both..and backdated from when i sent my form back she deals with dwp every day and seen loads of clients but thankyou for your reply x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.