Safety rails help for a newbie! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Safety rails help for a newbie!

tray31
tray31 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone, does anyone know if where I could buy bed rails from? I suffer from a rare bowel disease, fibromyalgia and sleep apnea so I am classed as disabled. I have been sleepwalking quite bad for the past year and half but now I’m hurting myself quite bad with falls. I was hoping maybe bed rails could help??  But I don’t have a fortune to spend without any guarantee it can help? 
Thank you xxx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's no need to buy aids to help you around the home. What you need to do is refer yourself for a needs assessment from social services which is your local council. You don't need a GP to refer you because the process takes longer. Waiting times for these assessments depends on backlogs but it's much quicker to self refer.

An Occupational Therapist will visit you at home and complete the assessment with you. They'll ask you questions about your disability and the problems and difficulties you have at home. There's nothing to be worried about when having this assessment. There are there to help make your life a little easier and safer. Once the assessment is complete they'll tell you what help you can receive. Bed rails, hand rails, toilet frames, bath seats, perching stools, are just a few of the things they can provide for you and it doesn't cost anything.

See link for how to self refer.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tray31
    tray31 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you so very much x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome! x
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness