ESA backpay re: contribution to income, doesn't affect council tax, housing benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA backpay re: contribution to income, doesn't affect council tax, housing benefit?

Retrovertigo
Retrovertigo Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi there. Amazing how difficult it as been to find answer to this to be honest! I haven't ever been over the £6000 threshold before so this is all new to me!

Bit today I received backpay which takes me past the maximum amount normally allowed for savings where the housing benefit people are concerned. I did ask somebody who had dealt with my back payment issue, and initially she wasn't sure (as she had never been asked!) but went to ask a colleague who said it didn't affect either council tax or housing benefit so I didn't need to inform them. But because she had to go ask somebody else, I am a little bit wary.

Can I rest easy? As I'd dearly like to pay back some of the money my family has loaned (given me) over the years to help me out, as I never truly understood what I was able to claim until a handful of years back. Many thanks

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    As it’s backpay owed it shouldn’t affect you as it’s money you should of already had not sure but I hope so then you can enjoy 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Backdated money is disregarded for 52 weeks for all means tested benefit and won't affect any housing benefit or council tax reduction you receive.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Retrovertigo
    That's such a relief. So I'm ok to not inform them at all? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    I would inform them just so your covered but it's disregarded for 52 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Rest easy now and sleep tight, nothing to worry about.
  • Retrovertigo
    Well, in an interesting (read: really bloody annoying)  twist, I have been told by somebody working in law, that although they are supposed to ignore payments over £5k for the lifetime of your claim, if they split the bigger amount owed, into smaller amounts of £5k or less, then you have the normal 365 days to use the money. Can they really sink any lower? It is what they did with me, split the payments up. Absolutely disgusting when it was their error. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.