Re working tax credit - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re working tax credit

Options
2»

Comments

• MatthewD1985
    MatthewD1985 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @MatthewD1985 What was the reason you claimed UC, was it because you decided to work more hours than permitted work allowed on ESA?

exactly that reason I was only going to do it for a few weeks for Christmas and then maybe see how i go after Christmas on 20 or maybe 25 hours from Jan, but have had to do 40 hours per week as well as the permitted additional 8 hours overtime on top in order to maintain about the same as I was having on 15 hours... I just can't believe that it didn't even cross my mind to get a sick note... I am so annoyed with myself - have a doc appointment 19 Feb so won't be able to get fit note until then but at least I know now - still quite shocking that this has not been mentioned once since  sept and have visited Job entre 4 times so far and even mentioned my disability in my journal numerous times..  Which I think is proof that this 'simplified' system is not true to its name

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Had you got some advice before you moved across to UC then you could have taken your ESA Support Group award with you. When transferring from ESA to UC DWP will place you in the relevant group. For UC this is LCWRA and you will have been paid the standard allowance and the extra £328 per month on top, as well as your housing element. Then you would have had a work allowance of £198 per month, where you could have earned that much before any deductions in your claim.

As there's been a gap in your claim now then there's nothing you can do about this. Sending in the sick notes is your only option. The process for this will be the same as ESA and you'll receive a work capability assessment form, eventually and need to attend a work capability assessment. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MatthewD1985
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yay sounds like I'm in for a fun time... lol... To be honest I didnt even know that the welfare reform included tax credits I thought it was just JSA, ESA and IS otherwise I wouldn't have changed anything... lol Thanks for your help poppy123456 :) 
  • MatthewD1985
    edited January 2019
    Options
    i can't understand how this new 'singular' benefits system is actually saving money or even simplifying anything - considering that universal credit has just been added to the current system and many are going to remain on legacy benefits until 2023 not to mention the DLA and PIP saga and all of the people that UC has plunged into destitution that are now in crisis and need job centre support for food / fuel banks etc. Perhaps if they just took medical professionals word for it when they deem a patient unfit for work or only fit for limited responsibilities,
    instead  of employing so many box ticking bureaucrats to over rule these doctors' professional opinion. (its like G.Orwells 1984 with the anonomys 'decision maker' I thought) they then have to pay thousands in court costs for all the appeal hearings - If I had worked that hard to get a PHD and then be told by Capita or Northgate or whoever they use these days that I am actually wrong in my diagnosis and advice by a 'healthcare professional' someone who may not even have completed any post grad uni or even have met the patient before I would be so offended its outragous when you stop and think of it... Rant over!! lol 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I totally agree with you about UC and the cost. However, if they took a GP's word for it then everyone would be claiming limited capability for work and ESA. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MatthewD1985
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Fair enough its obviously not that simple but what they are doing doesn't make it any better as they don't use th standard criteria in a standard way as very often the outcome will depend on who is assessing you rather than the actual reason you are being assessed if the outcomes were more uniform maybe it would be understandable
    . eg I was very lucky to get a home based assessment for PIP when I was moved from DLA which they booked without even speaking to me. My friend who lives a further 20 miles from cardiff assessment centre than i do and has mental health issues 10 times worse than mine (i met him whilst sectioned) and he practically begged for a ahome based assessment and they wouldnt do it -  he ended up just not having pip anymore as a journey to cardiff resembles a nightmare for someone who has problems remaining within reality and often thinks very odd things like people are going to get him for causing peoples deaths, wars, genocides and many other random things that he could not have been responsible for - putting him and other members of public at risk, I dont believe he would hurt anyone with intent but if you really believe someone is going to try and kill you, you dont know how tou woulkd react, quite irresponsible of a gov dept  TBH...
  • MatthewD1985
    Options
    Also, why is it not as simple as that. Why would everyone be claiming limited capacity? The doctor will only give you a sick note for a valid reason, that really is an extraordinary thing to suggest!
  • mustafaraoof
    mustafaraoof Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Hi geeforce,
    I lost my job in Jan 2019 my partner was getting Tax credits.i phoned TC office to inform I have lost my job.they advised to move to UC.
    within 4 days I was sent a demand from TC office about overpayments.
    i thought I was having a bad dream.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.