ESA stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA stopped

ruthycross12
ruthycross12 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi everyone.
I have just had my ESA  work related group stopped due to an assessment I had in December 18. I was given 0 points.and told to claim universal credit and to look for work straight away. 
I went to my doctor and he has given me a fit note for 8 weeks. He's put on my illnesses.  
Fybromyalgia.. Osteoarthritis.. Epilepsy. 
Anxiety and Depression..
According to the assesor her attitude about my anxiety is that I wasent rocking. Just because I wasent rocking does not mean I haven't got anxiety. 
She lied about me... This is the 2nd assessment I've had. I had one in 2017 and was moved up the the income related work group. This time I'm worse now than I was then and I've been taken off with 0 point..
It's made me Ill. I can't cope with all the stress. I sent in Mandatory Reconsideration but from what I've heard they don't change their mind so I'll have to appeal.. 
This system is just shocking.  They are targeting vulnerable people.. I'm new to this site so I'd love your views on my story. 
Thanks.
Ruth Crossland 

Comments

• AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Hi @ruthycross12 welcome to the community.
    I am so sorry you've had this terrible experience. There definatly seems to be some inconsistency when it comes to these assessments. I wonder how much medical knowledge they have. My anxiety wasn't considered at my PIP assessment, didn't ask about it at the meeting so I wonder how much they take into consideration our information from our forms. He decided I was ok talking to people and planning a journey etc....
    Something needs to be done. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • ruthycross12
    Hi AnkyieSpan.
    Yes your right,  something needs to be done. It's appalling how people are being treated.. They don't care about what your illnesses are, they just want to know what work you can still do with them.     
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruthycross12, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your experiences and the impact it's had on you. I'm sure many of our members will be able to empathise. It's good to hear you're being proactive and arranging an MR. Do feel free to ask any questions and our members will do their best to advise.
  • Matthewsheehy24
    Matthewsheehy24 Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Ruthycross12 they said exactly the same to me when I had my medical report back saying I wasn’t rocking in my chair.Some of the posts I have reed on here about the way the dwp are treating people is just wrong.
  • ruthycross12
    It's ridiculous MathewSweehy24...

• ruthycross12
    Thankyou Pippa.
    It really is awful. I'm happy to be on here.  It's very helpful and informative. 
    Ruth Crossland 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Just so you know, if you apply for UC then you won't be able to go back onto ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ruthycross12
    Thanks poppy. It's all confusing for me. Xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. I'd advise you to get some expert face to face advice from a local advice centre near you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ruthycross12
    Yes. I'm doing that next week. It's welfare rights.
    They help people like myself. 
  • shabbyrose
    shabbyrose Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hello Everyone,

So Sorry to hear about the terribly traumatic ordeal you have been put through Ruthy.

I can completely relate to you as I have encountered almost exactly the same situation.

It seems as if they have dismissed all medically trained Assessors and replaced them with a bunch of Interrogators from Guantanamo Bay willing to inflict as much pain and suffering required by any means possible
    How conisdental that they have decided to afflict this behaviour and  roll out the cruel and hennous benefit Universal Credit whilst all eyes are under the Brexit Negotiations .

My ordeal started 1 year ago, having not left the house in 9 months, I was told to attend an assessment.
    On the morning of my assesment I had a migraine having 3 nights of no sleep due to  Mum having an emergency life saving operation which we was told she had 50 / 50 survival rate.
    Thank heavens she pulled through, so even though it was a stressful prospect I held the thought that nothing could effect me any more.

Mum had organised a chaperone who is a mental health professional, I wanted to recapping but didn't want to stress mum out, so I ad heard to plains.

Whilst waiting for my assessment my chaperone was keeping me calm with breathing excersises.
    I was wearing an eye pack which is the only thing that helps migraines as daylight was so painful.
    On encountering us, the Assessor , starred at us as if we was completely over acting, looking up and down at me and even rolling her eyes.

I have never felt so small in all my 40 yrs.
    When entering the assessment room my chaparone introduced herself , and she immediately shot her down and told her not to speak. 
    It was if she was revealing in her power over us.
    Every single answer was met with an interrogation until I provided something detrimental to me that she could manipulate.
    She questioned me over and over about an eating disorder I haven't talked about since 18, It was as if I was being violated.
    It upset me so much I started to cry, at great length to conceal it she then embarrassed me more bringing attention to it and loudly stating 'is that a tear '?

After that the assessment was over from my perspective.
    I was talking complete gibberish and replying in whatever way pleased her.

My chaparone stated that it would be a long time for her to get over it, let alone me.

I've not gone out since and was ill for months after, not even able to discuss it.

When I received my feedback it was like looking at someone else's assessment, stating nothing about an eating disorder and even saying I prepare ready meals, even though I've never eaten a ready meal in my life
    I received no points.

Sorry  I've gone on a bit there ,, but the lies are so infuriating.

What I was wondering was whether to mention the lies and terrible experience whilst filling out my form for tribunal hearing.

My chaparone is willing to write a letter too.
    She I include it?

Just would like to say Thankyou for all advice and support I've gained on here.
    I felt completely alone until I read or the horrific experiences others are also facing.
    Many Thanks and Good luck to anyone appealing against these Immoral Rogues. 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shabbyrose, glad to see you've had a response on your other post!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.