PIP Award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Award

Bungalow
Bungalow Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
Hi all 
Well I got my PIP award of 8 points for care. The report was full of inconsistencies the main one I am dumbfounded by is the 2 points for an aid with washing and dressing ? my husband has to help me and there was plenty of written evidence to substantiate this, so my husband is an aid neutralnot assistance ?

I work 11 hours a week I can just about do this and luckily I am able to do due to the type of work. As I can drive I can walk more than 200mt. Again written evidence and myself telling them how walking effects me I am unable to do this reliably, repeatably, or safely hence the car used 3 days a week.
As I drive a car I can walk well ,wow wish someone would have told me that 2 years ago . My ill health and deterioration is due to a serious accident.  

It appears they decide in their wisdom how you do every day task even tho evidence is given to the contrary. The assessor has stated my condition will deteriorate and is degenerative. Well they got that right 10 brownie points, but then totally contradicts this further in the report.   I am now amazingly well after the PIP assessment and keep telling my body that every morning that it is lying to me. 

I wont be appealing , I am probably one of many who wont go through the process as I feel I have put myself through enough so I will be added to a statistic that I am happy with the process. 

I have never been blatantly told I am a lair maybe I could have scored more points saying I am a hypochondriac smiley yep this PIP is a total shambles but it is doing what it's set out to do save the government money ( which they haven't been successful by the way). I have read about the appalling PIP process but I gave it the benefit of the doubt until I went through the process myself.  You have to smile or you would cry. smile 
I might apply to become an assessor myself but I would have to take a lie detector first and I think I would fail ..........

Comments

• pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Sorry youve gone through this, it’s discrimination & himiliating. They lie in the reports & yet in a round about way, they call us liars, take away our life lines, cos in their opinions were faking the seriousnous of our illness. I’d say to you keep fighting. I know how you feel, I’m now going to tribunal. But I’m angry & it’s not just about fighting for myself, it’s fighting to make DWP, the Govetnment, see that we are human, we do have illnesses/ disabilities that we struggle with, that WE do matter & not second class citizens!! The system needs to change!! Gentle hugs to you xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hi,

For scoring points in the descriptors for aids and needing assistance you'll always score points if you can reasonably use an aid, whether the aid is used or not. If an aid can't be used then you need to give reasons why it can't be safely used and what happens when you do attempt to use an aid.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bungalow
    Bungalow Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Hi Poppy
    I had given the reasons why an aid could not be used successfully in writing and verbally due to complex conditions as did my husband and support worker confirming this, in line with medical evidence also.
     That is why it was clear I can only shower, dress, and cook with assistance It was still only put down as an aid? not assistance..

I am aware it is not based on your conditions but how it effects you even with this evidence this was ignored from a consultants report of limited movement and pain and can not do certain tasks, and they wont operate until I am 70 due to risks and the benefits would be low.
    There are parts of the argument it may not have given more points, but the fact is the report is inconsistent with errors and based on one person's assumption in 40 minutes.
     I take medication but was advised by my GP to take on a when and needs basis due to side effects. This was entered on the report, "the level of pain relief is not consistent with the level of pain you claim to be in most days"? basically I am lying. I am even penalised for using a car 3 days a week to try and continue working for 11 hours?
    Driving is limited due to causing pain.

All my energy has gone into this application it has effected me mentally having to think about how bad my disabilities are when you are trying to keep a brave face on things. I work to get through the day adjusting my life and saying goodbye to the old life I once had.
    Sorry on a rant now this is why i will not appeal. It is no good for my mental health and I certainly don't want to go down that road as well. 

Thanks Pixie for your kind words, I wish I did have that strength I did when I started on this journey but I think that has left me now. I will have to go through the whole process in 18 months time. I would like that time to concentrate on more important things now my well-being.

Thank you for the reply :smile:
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Bungalow said:
    Hi Poppy
    I had given the reasons why an aid could not be used successfully in writing and verbally due to complex conditions as did my husband and support worker confirming this, in line with medical evidence also.
     That is why it was clear I can only shower, dress, and cook with assistance It was still only put down as an aid? not assistance..

I am aware it is not based on your conditions but how it effects you even with this evidence this was ignored from a consultants report of limited movement and pain and can not do certain tasks, and they wont operate until I am 70 due to risks and the benefits would be low.
    There are parts of the argument it may not have given more points, but the fact is the report is inconsistent with errors and based on one person's assumption in 40 minutes.
     I take medication but was advised by my GP to take on a when and needs basis due to side effects. This was entered on the report, "the level of pain relief is not consistent with the level of pain you claim to be in most days"? basically I am lying. I am even penalised for using a car 3 days a week to try and continue working for 11 hours?
    Driving is limited due to causing pain.

All my energy has gone into this application it has effected me mentally having to think about how bad my disabilities are when you are trying to keep a brave face on things. I work to get through the day adjusting my life and saying goodbye to the old life I once had.
    Sorry on a rant now this is why i will not appeal. It is no good for my mental health and I certainly don't want to go down that road as well. 

Thanks Pixie for your kind words, I wish I did have that strength I did when I started on this journey but I think that has left me now. I will have to go through the whole process in 18 months time. I would like that time to concentrate on more important things now my well-being.

Thank you for the reply :smile:
    It does sound to me that the poster at the assessment shot them self in the foot with the answers and explanations given/not given. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.