PIP - Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - Mobility

Options
cheekydaz
cheekydaz Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi there,

I have Fibromyalgia, Spine Disease, Neck Arthritis and a cyst on my spine, so walking is difficult for me. 

I have just had my PIP Assessment at home and explained that I can walk 20 - 50 metres before having to stop. The assessor said, would you stop for a few minutes?  I explained it's usually much longer, 5-10 minutes.

Can I ask if stopping, and then carrying on, would rule out getting the mobility part of PIP? 

Thanks,
Darren

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

No, it's how far you can walk without pain and discomfort before you need to stop and would you be able to walk that same distance regularly and reliably. 20-50m is standard mobility for moving around under the PIP descriptors, whether they'll recommend this is a totally different thing. Enhanced mobility is no more than 20 metres.

You can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report, if you live in UK. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cheekydaz
    Options
    Hey Poppy, thanks for the reply - that's reassuring.

I did ring up DWP for a copy of the assessors report, but they stated you have to wait for the decision to be made first, incase the case manager needs to send it back for clarification. Am i being fobbed off?

Daz 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem. If you live in the UK they will usually agree to send the report, even if some people may tell you it's not in the rules. Many many people receive copies of the assessment report before a decision is made, i've received 3 of my PIP reports.

Some will agree, some won't. Try ringing again on Monday to request it again, chances are you'll speak to someone totally different who will agree to send it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cheekydaz
    Options
    I will do, thanks so much Poppy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.