I'm struggling, is there anything I can do for support? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm struggling, is there anything I can do for support?

TheStrev
TheStrev Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Thanking for allowing me to join the group . I’ve been struggling for a while , I’m 68 and am struggling with knowing what’s out there .Financially and Supportive. My problem is mobility ,I can’t even walk up stairs to my flat with my heart feeling I’ve run a marathon. I’m struggling with Bathing and keeping myself clean . My weight has increased due to my disabilities but being inactive is not helping with my weight. My  wife works as she is younger than myself but she now needs to reduce her hours at work to assist me with my daily living. Which is embarrassing for me , Sometimes life gets me down as I feel old,Fat and useless.

Comments

• elleseum
    elleseum Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello @TheStrev - imI new today too. I can identify with a lot of your feelings & issues with mobility. I've got to the point where I feel I have to take responsibility for myself & get proactive. Get the support & help I need. I think once you have people who are there to turn to & advise you it helps to start re-building our own confidence & begin to turn our lives around for a healthier & happier old age!
    I hope you do as much as you can to find support, feel happier & be virtually jigging up those stairs in a year or two!
    Kind regards - Rae B

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheStrev welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear how you are feeling. We do have a wide range of information which may be of use to you.
    I will tag our lovely Occupational Therapist @Jean_OT who can suggest ways and equipment to help your bathing needs.

Hope this helps, let us know ir you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @TheStrev   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. Who guide, advise and help new members who join.

My friend @Ami2301 has given you lot of advice and support.  Which I hope you will find useful and very informative.

All I can say have you contacted your local AGE UK branch.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 055 6112.

I am sure there will be interested in helping and supporting you.  

We are here to listen be supportive.  Please ask if we can help with anything.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @TheStrev
    I cant say any more than @Ami2301 has posted! :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.