Struggling at work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling at work

Nathos1
Nathos1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 2019 in Work and employment
Hello just joined this forum, I have developed Arthiritis in my ankles, and have had to cut my working hours down because of the pain, and fluctuating abilty to stand for 8 hours or more. I'm in the process of finding out if it's Inflammatory or Rhemutoid Arthiritis. I was hoping for any advice on what kind of work is out there and how to go about applying for it with the problems I now have.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nathos1 welcome to the community! 

Have you spoken to your employer to see if they can make any reasonable adjustments?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Nathos1
    They are a little nderstanding, but I work as a chef, I've gone from a 48  hours a week to 33 hours  but on bad days even find that hard and painful, working in a kitchen it's difficult to make  adjustments as I have to stand for entire shift as the restaurant is open all day.  I'm looking around to see what kind of work I could do as I probably won't be able to continue being a chef as it's fast paced and can be very busy.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    There is loads of information in our work section which may be of use to you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Nathos1
    Cheers gonna look now?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hello @Nathos1 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing .  I am one of the community champions who guide and advise, help new members who join.

Sorry what has happened. I know from my own personal experiences. Understand at one time looking to work in the food industry.

When I was young and had issues with problems with restaurants. Because had disability of hands and standing and other  issues.  They would not employ me at all. They were the eighties.

So used my food knowledge and skills privately for friends and charities I was volunteering at.

Ended up in employment in offices but in the harsh reality had to earn a crust some money. Secretly love cooking and do a lot of recipes here.

Please have a look.  Anytime you want.

I know adapting the skills and talents you have to be used else where.

Thought I would like to share with you.  After had addiction became clean got more interested in food and all around it. Understanding Health, Nutrition and Science. Qualifications followed.

Have the following might be useful for you.

https://www.disabiltyjobsite.co.uk.

https://wwwscope.org.uk.support/services/employment/

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

These are employment agencies for disabled or those with illness or conditions. Some are run by disabled.

I know there are often food related opportunities besides working in a kitchen.

Some I know of are food stylists and of course Nutritionists, Dieticians.  Have you thought of contacting your local council might need people with your experience to be part of their well being programmes.

Run by Community health units.  I hope I have helped.

Pleasure to talk to you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Nathos1
    Cheers Spiceman very useful information checking it out now.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nathos1, and a warm welcome to the community!

You've had some great advice from our community members, and I hope things move forwards for you soon. If you have any questions in the meantime, do let us know and we'll do our best to advise.
  • Nathos1
    Thanks have been looking at options, in touch today with Jobcentre advisor, registered with a number of retailers to see if there's any suitable vacancies. Have a appointment at the hospital for x-rays, and will take it from there. Thanks guys the support is great.?

Brightness