Back dated Council tax reduction — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back dated Council tax reduction

Options
Grace7
Grace7 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I've applied for the severely mentally impaired Council tax reduction. I've completed the form and sent it along with my GP confirmation certificate. On the GP certificate it states that I've been severely mentally impaired since 2008. My PIP award date is December 2018. Does any one know how far the reduction will be backdated to? I've only been paying Council tax for the past couple of years, I was living with my parents before that. I think I'll get all my Council tax paid as I live alone. Thanks

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did you not apply before because you weren't aware of this or because someone at the council told you it didn't apply?
    Usually councils are reluctant to back date beyond 3 months.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Grace7
    Options
    Unfortunately I didn't know about it. That's a shame that it can't be backdated any further than that.  
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Grace7

You are entitled to backdated Council Tax for upto six years.

Wait till your Council “decides” on their version of backdating.

Then send them a letter of “notice”. that you intend to appeal their decision to the Valuation Tribunal.

You should cite Arca v Carlisle City Council (ref: 0915m85513/254c) and in particular The Limitation Act 1980, Section 9, which states that six years of back payment should be applied.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best wishes.
  • Grace7
    Options
    Thank you very much for this information. I'll wait and see what my local council say in the first instance and consider challenging it if I'm not happy. 

Brightness