PIP - Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - Mobility

Options
cheekydaz
cheekydaz Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi there,

I have Fibromyalgia, Spine Disease, Neck Arthritis and a cyst on my spine, so walking is difficult for me. 

I have just had my PIP Assessment at home and explained that I can walk 20 - 50 metres before having to stop. The assessor said, would you stop for a few minutes?  I explained it's usually much longer, 5-10 minutes.

Can I ask if stopping, and then carrying on, would rule out getting the mobility part of PIP? 

Thanks,
Darren

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No you should be awarded - Enhanced Mobility - unable to walk more than 20 metres reliably.

I told the assessor that I could walk a mile but that it would take between 2 and 3 hours to do it due the slowness of walk and having to stop to recover every 15/20 metres.

The assessor reported that I could walk more than 200 metres without any problems. At MR stage I asked the DWP to relook at the report from the hospital spinal unit that said that I could not walk more than 15 metres without suffering and falling off the hospital testing machine. The DWP relented and agreed that I could not walk more than 20 metres reliably - Enhanced Mobility. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yadnad said:
    No you should be awarded - Enhanced Mobility - unable to walk more than 20 metres reliably.
    That's not correct here. Cheekydaz has stated they can walk between 20-50 metres, that's more than 20 metres. This distance is standard mobility.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    Yes that is what they stated, but doing that they stated that they needed to rest. The award should then be set to 12 points as the 10 pointer could not be carried out reliably.

• poppy123456
    Options
    That's not correct, they still said they are able to walk between 20-50 metres but they need to stop while doing it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This distance unaided is 8 points, aided is 10 points.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    That's not correct, they still said they are able to walk between 20-50 metres but they need to stop while doing it.
    OK, so they cannot reliably etc cover the 50 metres without discomfort and having to stop.
    The DWP should then look at the next unaided descriptor which is (F). (D) & (E) cannot apply, aided or unaided as they cannot be said to be able to walk that distance reliably etc.

As I said about my assessment - I could walk a mile but it would not be reliably carried out. (B), (C), (D) and (E) could also not be reliably carried out due to having to stop every 15 or so metres to recover
    I was left with (F) which is what they awarded me despite what I had said. 
  • g7iqj
    g7iqj Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Options
     YES  in simular sitation have spine condition MOBILTY  i can walk up to 20 meteres have to stop due pain rest do another 20 meteres stop rest  etc  put this on application form for my PIP . however  DREADED YOUNG  ATOS ASSEOR STRIKES  . is it trick question ????   BUT atos ASSEOR ASKS YOU NOT HOW FAR BUT HOW LONG  YOU CAN WALK ???.   Irelied up to 20 meteres she got angry said thats not question  how long can u walk i replyed never timed myself cant answer honestly i say no more 5 min out stopping , no time was i asked to walk move over 20 metere @ asstment centre   most you move i say 10 meteres in/ out  centre .   I have applied for atos report  10 days ago still waiting  in meantime i  lodged  MR   BECAUSE  WHEN DWP REPORT COME THROUGH  HE UNDER THE INPRESSTION I CAN WALK OVER  200 METERES .. WHAT IS IN  ATOS REPORT IS FLAWED PACK LIES  JUST LIKE CHEECK Y DAZ .   DWP REOPT 3 JAN  LODGE    MR  ON 15 JAN  MORE EVEIDENCE  NOT HEARD NOTHING  APPLIED    ATOS REPORT  15 JAN HEARD NOTHING      
  • Yadnad
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Did you actually tell the assessor that you walked for about 5 mins?
    At about 5000 metres an hour you would have walked approx. 470 metres in that 5 minutes at normal walking pace.

So the report seems to be correct that you can walk more than 200 metres = 0 points.
  • g7iqj
    Options
    no not case  as put on form apply for pip  20 meteres 1 go  as told her would not except it   have doctors orphopedic surgeons  report to effect   did not want see that no   she reported i can walk more 5 min not what i said  0-5 min  takes me about 3-5 minuites do 20 meteres but i can see whaur saying they use time as distance . till i get her atos report want no what said . as said ive lodge MR   through advice my doctor unite untion  building case for tribunral 
  • g7iqj
    Options
    put it this way my local shop is approx 50 meteres from my home have stop take pressure off back ie purch/sit  4 times to get there avg 15 meteres in one go .  ive put all this in wrighting   on MR  REPORT  BACK UP BY MY DOCYTRORS STATENMENT    seem beleveive  semi skilled atos asseors  NOT doctors or experts  systems flawed use in my case proper  expert doctors   .
  • g7iqj
    Options
    but this is trick DWP  SAME ASK QUESTION 2 diffrent ways   its trick . 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No trick questions, it's the answers we give that the acessor then has to put in to the box on their screen that best fits our answers. With only a limited chose we end up with a lower scores.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    wilko said:
    No trick questions, it's the answers we give that the acessor then has to put in to the box on their screen that best fits our answers. With only a limited chose we end up with a lower scores.
    I agree, the poster wrote 'I say no more 5 min out stopping'.
    Which to me means that they can walk for no more than 5 minutes without stopping.
    Yet the poster states that it takes 3 to 5 minutes to walk 20 metres! 
    Something there does not sound credible. At worst the poster is walking approx. 12' in a minute? 
  • g7iqj
    Options
    AS I SAID  ive never  timed my self but have with distance works out 15- 20 meteres in one go  have to stop/ perch . 1 WHY on pip application do they ask you distance  iam ok that . 2  the atos asseor  ask you maxium time you can walk want except  dont no as answer NOT  distance  same question ask diffrent to me thats trick on part  DWP or people who thought up PIP .  SENT in medical eveidence  for  MR  dont give it lot hope  end up going to TRIBUNRAL  .
  • Yadnad
    Options
    g7iqj said:
    AS I SAID  ive never  timed my self but have with distance works out 15- 20 meteres in one go  have to stop/ perch . 1 WHY on pip application do they ask you distance  iam ok that . 2  the atos asseor  ask you maxium time you can walk want except  dont no as answer NOT  distance  same question ask diffrent to me thats trick on part  DWP or people who thought up PIP .  SENT in medical eveidence  for  MR  dont give it lot hope  end up going to TRIBUNRAL  .
    Because if anyone is claiming to not be able to walk more than 20 metres there is no point in the assessor asking that question again. They do it another way round - how long can you walk without having to stop. More often than not that gives a totally different answer as to the actual distance.
    I was professionally assessed in hospital at the Spinal unit on their walking machine. The attempts I made were measured as to the speed of walking, the distance walked and the time it took to walk that distance. That is all in a report that was sent to the DWP. 
    Unfortunately that piece of evidence was ignored as it was carried out in 2012 whereas the assessment took place just a few weeks before the decision was made. Consequently I was said to be able to walk 200+ metres, whereas the report says the maximum was 15 metres before falling off the machine.
  • g7iqj
    Options
    THATS point  2 diffrent anwers  they  assume  you /i  could walk more 200 metes in one go  flawed system . 
  • Lee123
    Lee123 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
    Hi
    Also they look at weather you can get to a 2 b safely without any distress
    I went from standard mobility to enhanced after a tribunal hearing I scored 12 points for unable to follow a familiar route without an aid 
  • djbantiques
    djbantiques Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Options
    I was asked what distance can I walk in my assessment.
    I was also asked how I knew it was that distance.
  • g7iqj
    Options
    just walking  standing  me   resticcted  have stop every 15-20 meteres because pain  sitting fine   standing walking not .  does cause distrees if i have walk over 20 meteres . 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.