Motability car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability car

Options
KG100
KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
I've read an old news article from last year which said the government were looking in to the idea of people with the lower rate of PIP being able to hire motability cars.
I can't seem to find much about it but wondered if anyone knows anything about it. 

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes I remember that article. It would not surprise me at all if what was said was a knee jerk reaction from the government after the news of Motability hoarding millions.

I presume they were saying that provided you were awarded 8 points for the moving around section then you could exchange the money for a Motability car.

I can't see that ever working.

The majority of Motability cars need the Enhanced rate (£59.75 a week) to cover the leasing and maintenance costs. How they would square that for those on the Standard rate with only £22.65 a week to pay beats me.

• KG100
    Options
    Yes, that would be a lot of extra money to find per week.

• KG100
    Options
    I've duplicated this by mistake, can someone delete it please !!
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Options
    Maybe they will allow people on lower rate to hire powerchairs/scooters via Motability?  
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No there is no possibility of leasing a car on the lower rate of PIP mobility wishful thinking imagine the extra costs.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    Tardis said:
    Maybe they will allow people on lower rate to hire powerchairs/scooters via Motability?  
    Not very practical especially if there is more than one in the family!
    Most people have scooters/chairs in addition to a car to put them in. I don't know anybody that relies on such transport to carry out the normal day to day activities.
  • KG100
    Options
    The report I read said the minister for DWP was talking to motability to see what they can come up with.
    Perhaps they've realised that so many people will lose their cars now that they have to at least look like they're trying to help us. 

• Yadnad
    Options
    KG100 said:
    The report I read said the minister for DWP was talking to motability to see what they can come up with.
    Perhaps they've realised that so many people will lose their cars now that they have to at least look like they're trying to help us. 
    Just look at it logically. If they tried to work something out for those on Standard Mobility, Motability would get just over £3500 in payments from the DWP over a 3 year leasing period. Now what car and to include servicing costs would that equate to? 
    Yes a large scooter could be useful but with a maximum range of say 21 miles it will just about fit that criteria - £22 a week. So with such a machine that is 10.5 miles maximum distance from the home. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.