Socializing difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Socializing difficulties

Options
Scott_Noonez1
Scott_Noonez1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all so tonight I’ve been at a quiz night in the town I live in and I was one of the last people to arrive and the quiz team I was on tonight had already formed this rapport with each other before I arrived and I was just sat quiet on the seats in front which effected me for the rest of the night as I was struggling  to get involved within the group of 4 that had formed that rapport as my anxiety took over and I felt isolated within the big group discussion they where having with the other quiz team. 

I was was just wondering does anybody else with cerebral palsy or other disability struggle with the same thing as it did upset me that I was trying but couldn’t have that same laugh and joke around with them it was a good night and made a change as I don’t really normally go out on a night but would be interested to hear from other people who have maybe been in a similar situation. I know it’s irrelevant to disabilities itself but thought I would confide in these forums to hopefully hear off other people.

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Scott_Noonez1 I’m Emma one of the Community Champions.  Welcome to the community I  have Cerebral Palsy as well and do get anxious in new social situations sometimes.  I know it’s not easy but maybe if you feel confident enough to go again perhaps over time you’ll build up a rapport with them.  The next time you go maybe chat to them or tell them a bit about yourself . It will get easier the more you do it. I hope that helps. Good luck.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @Scott_Noonez1

Thanks for sharing this with us. You're among friends here, and I'm sure many of our members will be able to relate to your experiences. If we can be of any assistance, please do let us know.
  • ncps
    ncps Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    I don't have CP but I have chronic pain and I find it really difficult to mix with stranger, I think some of the problem is that we feel so different anyway that our brain over reacts and makes the situation worse. Maybe get there earlier next time, it will be a different experience I am sure :)

Lou

Northants chronic pain support

www.ncpsuk.com

• Scott_Noonez1
    Scott_Noonez1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    ncps said:
    I don't have CP but I have chronic pain and I find it really difficult to mix with stranger, I think some of the problem is that we feel so different anyway that our brain over reacts and makes the situation worse. Maybe get there earlier next time, it will be a different experience I am sure :)
    Hi @ncps yes the brain definitely does make it worse it was awful they where all talking amongst theirselves and I was sat there like chopped liver. I think it would’ve been different if I got there earlier too, does it effect you for the rest of the experience when you feel like this?

Brightness