Am i entitled to SDP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am i entitled to SDP?

BrandonM96
BrandonM96 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi i currently get enhanced rate daily living and standard rate mobility, i also get income based ESA, however i live with my parents, but my mum is severely disabled (gets highest rate everything) and my dad gets highest rate careres component.

Will they treat me as living alone? Am i entitled to be getting it? As ive been getting pip and esa since beginning of 2016 will they back date it?

Thanks. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what you mean by highest rate careres component.

To be eligible for SDP you must be receiving Income Related ESA and as you're living with your parents they both must be receiving either daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BrandonM96
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what you mean by highest rate careres component.

To be eligible for SDP you must be receiving Income Related ESA and as you're living with your parents they both must be receiving either daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

Well my dad gets DLA care component and my mum gets PIP daily living? Does that count? Its very confusing.
  • poppy123456
    If your dad receives mid or high rate care for DLA and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then yes, you'll qualify if you're receiving income related ESA.

To apply you need to ring ESA and ask to either apply over the phone or ask them to send you the IS10 form. It can be backdated to the date you qualified.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • BrandonM96
    If your dad receives mid or high rate care for DLA and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then yes, you'll qualify if you're receiving income related ESA.

To apply you need to ring ESA and ask to either apply over the phone or ask them to send you the IS10 form. It can be backdated to the date you qualified.
    Never mind my dad gets carers for my mum, so looks like ill not be able to get it, oh well, would have really helped too.
  • poppy123456
    Your dad claiming Carers Allowance for your mum doesn't affect you claiming SDP. As long as no one claims carers allowance for you.
  • BrandonM96
    Your dad claiming Carers Allowance for your mum doesn't affect you claiming SDP. As long as no one claims carers allowance for you.
    But i live with them both, and my mum geta PIP so thata fine, but my dad only gets cares for my mum, he doesnt get anything else.
  • poppy123456
    You said your dad claims DLA care component in a comment above which is why i said you'll qualify. If he doesn't claim one of the qualifying benefits i mentioned above then i'm afraid you won't qualify. Carers allowance isn't a qualifying benefit.
  • BrandonM96
    You said your dad claims DLA care component in a comment above which is why i said you'll qualify. If he doesn't claim one of the qualifying benefits i mentioned above then i'm afraid you won't qualify. Carers allowance isn't a qualifying benefit.
    Yeah sorry i got it wrong, my apologies. Thanks for the help.
  • poppy123456
    No problem.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.