Any help i can get to clear my gas and electric arrears? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any help i can get to clear my gas and electric arrears?

Options
Lynny69
Lynny69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I was wondering if there is any help I could get to clear my gas and electric arrears, I was considered unfit for work in July 2018 after being diagnosed with the Lupus disease, since then I have struggled to get on my feet my company’s are threatening to put my on pre paid metres and I don’t know where to turn 
thanks 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Lynny69 welcome to the community.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Please have look at this page on how you can pay your energy bills. 

Please let us know if you have any questions and keep us updated :)
  • goblinqueen
    goblinqueen Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    What annoys me is these pensioners get a £200 fuel payment , how about those on disabilities ??? They probably can't get out as much as OAP's and the amount I hear around Xmas on the bus etc "ooh I got my bonus I don't really need it but I can treat myself , these are the same ones who can afford to do big weekly shops at Marks and Spencer , have a car and can afford numerous holidays a year but still claim all they can 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lynny69

If you’re in debt to your supplier, they might decide to install a prepayment meter in your home.

You can refuse it if it would be difficult for you to go to the shops and top it up, or if the meter would be difficult to access due to a disability, or if you’re elderly.

If you’re having difficulties dealing with your energy supplier, you can sign up to use the Priority Services Register (PSR). This offers you free support to help you work through any problems with your suppler. Find out more about the Priority Services Register on the Ofgem website.

For more information, visit Citizens Advice.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no easy solution or help to pay off a debt. Depending on circumstances then you maybe entitled to the warm home discount. This will entitle you to £140 per year off your electric bill, however i do believe that most energy companies have closed applications for this year. They will re-open again later this year for next year, so this is something to look into.
    Details for this are in the link.

The only options really to pay off the debts is either pre-payment meters or to set up payment plans. I'd advise you to ring your energy company and explain to them about your financial situation and that you're current unable to work because of a health condition. They will set up a payment plan that you can afford but one that pays off a little of the debt each week/month. I have always found my energy company very understanding in the past when i've had large bills. You just need to show you can pay a little extra and they won't refuse.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • goblinqueen
    goblinqueen Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Don’t take a pre payment meter as you end up paying more ! If you can afford to pay £20 a week or whatever on pre payment just offer it to the company 
  • minniemoo
    minniemoo Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Lynny69 if you don’t mind me asking whom is your supplier? get in touch with (turn 2 us) if you go through them you may be eligible to apply for a hardship fund payment which goes towards or pays off your arrears but the hardship team will only accept your application if you go through this process also depending on your circumstances and may only be certain companies that offer this hope this helps no harm in trying x 
  • minniemoo
    minniemoo Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I realise this thread is a couple of months old now, but just wanted to pop the following opportunity here in case it's of interest:

One of my colleagues at Scope is working with a journalist to present the results of some work we've done around energy bills. They're looking to speak to someone who's gone into arrears, and ended up being moved onto a prepayment meter by their energy company.

If anyone's experienced this, and would like to find out more about the opportunity, please get in touch with me by commenting here, privately messaging me, or emailing me at community@scope.org.uk :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I realise this thread is a couple of months old now, but just wanted to pop the following opportunity here in case it's of interest:
    Actually three years and nine months old!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh... thanks calcotti! I misread the year :grimace:
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.