Would PIP award help me be allocated a more accessible house? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would PIP award help me be allocated a more accessible house?

Options
ukssvictim
ukssvictim Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I am currently living in a private rented house with stairs that I find very hard. I use a walker and walking stick and have a partner who works all the hours god sends and then constantly worries about me during the day, I have fibromyalgia degenerative dics in my back diabetes, mental health, PTSD,

My question is now now I have been recognised by PIP for my disabilities does this now mean I may be able to acquire my name on housing lists and if so would my circumstances of health give me anymore 'points' to get a property?

i just can't cope with stairs anymore and we would prefer to have lower rent as private seems to be more which is hindering my partner to look after me (and keep himself from having a heart attack) any comments would be most helpful x

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @ukssvictim Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who advise and help new members who join.

I do not know the answer to your question. One suggestion is to speak to CAB or your local council housing officer.

I hope that helps.

Please ask if we can advise and help some one will know.  From our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately your PIP award won't help you get a housing association property. Waiting lists for these are huge, several years for all parts of the country. You can certainly put your name on the list as there's no harm in that.

For your mobility issues then i'd advise self referring yourself to you local council social services department for a needs assessment. They'll do an assessment on you and help you with any aids that will make your life a little easier.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness