Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Would PIP award help me be allocated a more accessible house?

ukssvictimukssvictim Member Posts: 8 Listener
I am currently living in a private rented house with stairs that I find very hard. I use a walker and walking stick and have a partner who works all the hours god sends and then constantly worries about me during the day, I have fibromyalgia degenerative dics in my back diabetes, mental health, PTSD,

My question is now now I have been recognised by PIP for my disabilities does this now mean I may be able to acquire my name on housing lists and if so would my circumstances of health give me anymore 'points' to get a property?

i just can't cope with stairs anymore and we would prefer to have lower rent as private seems to be more which is hindering my partner to look after me (and keep himself from having a heart attack) any comments would be most helpful x


  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ukssvictim Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who advise and help new members who join.

    I do not know the answer to your question. One suggestion is to speak to CAB or your local council housing officer.

    I hope that helps.

    Please ask if we can advise and help some one will know.  From our community or a member of our team.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,131 Disability Gamechanger

    Unfortunately your PIP award won't help you get a housing association property. Waiting lists for these are huge, several years for all parts of the country. You can certainly put your name on the list as there's no harm in that.

    For your mobility issues then i'd advise self referring yourself to you local council social services department for a needs assessment. They'll do an assessment on you and help you with any aids that will make your life a little easier.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.