800 calorie diet, or nearly — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

800 calorie diet, or nearly

catwoman5757
catwoman5757 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2019 in Coffee lounge
My cats keep messing with the dial of my scales so I ordered new, state of the art scales.  Big mistake.  I am even heavier than the worst the kitties could do.   Basically, 1.5 times my optimal weight.

A national newspaper is detailing the 800 calory  diet, and though I cannot eat all the ingredients, nor cook some recipes since I am unsafe with a hob, I have taken most of the elements on board.

In particular, I am sticking to nothing but water after 8pm

I know it is mainly fluid, but I have lost more than a stone in two weeks.

If you have dismissed this diet maybe give it a look and a many tweaks as you need and see whether it helps you.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @catwoman5757 Sounds great. Always though speak to GP before undertaking any diets.

Just know having been a keen understanding of how the bodies working.

Got qualifications and food related knowledge.

Know you have to be safe and aware.

Best of luck and wish you any success.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @catwoman5757 I would reiterate what @thespiceman says and make sure you are getting proper advice on this.

The NHS weight loss plan suggests that women wishing to lose weight aim for about 1400 calories a day. 800 calories sounds awfully low, so please do take care :( 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • kazzy1
    kazzy1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected

:D I do the 5:2 diet (obviously twice a week). Sadly I cant stand so cant weigh myself but think its working. I replace 2 meals with a 130 cal shake and dry wholemeal toast for breakie.

I drink water like there's no tomorrow to keep me full!

• thespiceman
    Hello @kazzy1 Understand what you are trying to do.

I know from my own experiences always double check with your Doctor before embarking on any diet or changes to your lifestyle.

I do not agree with these liquid supplements have no foundation or cause to lose weight.

The thing you lose is your money. Many have to say to you have laxative problems if consuming. Have you read the packet or box, many have too much salt under another name.

Reason may be drinking too much. Which by the way has and can effect certain body functions.

I do think the only safe way is to consult your Doctor first. Make an appointment with the surgery for consultations with nutritionist.

Sensible precautions have to be implemented in any diet.

Trust me have and do understand the need to lose weight.

I ballooned up to 15 stone plus on alcohol, junk food and everything else.

Went from that size to 7 stone living on alcohol.  So it all effected my muscles and joints plus other physical problems.

Contacting the Community health unit.  Well being service. Had a very pleasant gent one to one talking to me in a way to help and guide me to better health.

They look at every thing and it is good to know sensible eating, portion controls.

Under council services.

Please I would advise that. Only being concerned for a community member.

I am here if you wish to know and ask anything.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • kazzy1
    kazzy1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Yeah I know what you're saying. Common sense tells me it's probably not good. Hell, I've spent ages stopping my teen boys using protein shakes x
  • thespiceman
    Hello @kazzy1 One final point there is a lot of water in every day foods.

Bread, Fruit and Vegetables. Even Chicken and certain cuts of meat.

I know drinking water is important and should be included in every meal a glass .

Does help with digestion and maintains health and wellbeing. 

I should say that.

Just a final thought I would consult your Doctor as I have advised.

Please you need to be careful that is my concern.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • catwoman5757
    catwoman5757 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you everybody and advice is heeded.  I am taking about 1200 calories at the moment and see my doctor in March.  I am concentrating on variety in vegetables and fruit and no batter or crumb on meat.  
  • thespiceman
    Hello @catwoman5757 That is great to hear.

One other suggestions and ideas are to find ways to add fruit and vegetables in your diet.

Every day .

Simple ones are making a Pasta or any tomato based sauce including jars add Carrots and Celery. Called Sofritto in Italian.

Do not like Celery add Carrots. All my Curry sauces have Tomatoes and Carrots   In fact also any sauce have to add Carrots.  Natural sweetener.

Peppers from the supermarket diced up can be used in Pasta sauces or add to a blender with dried Basil. Garlic Powder, Parsley, Dried Oregano , half teaspoon each with tin of tomatoes.  Plus Peppers tangy Pasta Sauce. If you look a the label of Jars Pasta sauces have all dried herbs in.

If using fruit buy frozen berries and add to a blender with yoghurt and milk, Cinnamon. Honey a morning smoothie. Or defrost add to Porridge, Cereal and Yoghurt topped with Cinnamon.

I buy frozen Mango and Pineapple as well. Ice-cream any one.  Food processor add frozen Mango or Pineapple add dollop of Greek Yoghurt and honey blitz up.

Blender or a Food processor is ideal for making veggies and fruit into sauces.

Use the Blender makes great Soup. Most supermarkets have Soup mixes on sale use them for instant Soup.

I buy frozen vegetables many are better frozen.

Leeks, Peas, Green Beans, Broad Beans, Spinach, Kale.

Frozen fruit Blueberries, Cherries, Blackberries, Mango, Pineapple.

Also Frozen Mushrooms and Butternut squash great soups from the freezer.

I forgot another important thing is to add some nuts like Walnuts, Almonds to your diet or use Peanut Butter.

Useful Calcium and Proteins for Bones, Energy.

Nuts are essential fats.  Use a few.  Small portion with fruit.

I buy Walnuts and Almonds add them to boost my bone density and strength plus some like Walnuts.

Good for the heart.

Peanut butter is not fattening useful proteins and energises you.  Always have a PNB on whole meal toast fills you up.

Hope that helps.

Always here any time to be supportive.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness