High rate PIP together with ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

High rate PIP together with ESA

gibbspercival
gibbspercival Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all, I recently was awarded the higher rate PIP but now I recieved a letter stating I have to have an assessment for ESA? I wondered why? Any tips.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    ESA can be reassessed at any time after 3 months and has little to do with your PIP award
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gibbspercival, and welcome! Great to have you here.

I'm unsure why one would affect the other as PIP and ESA are separate benefits, but you can find out more about ESA on Scope's website. There's also some great advice on preparing for the assessment on the Citizens Advice website. Have a read, and do come back to us with any further questions!
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I had  my first PIP acessment then was supposed to go for a ESA acessment but on phoning about transportation I was infthat I was being placed in the support group, so although the benefits are different and do not have an impact on each other DWP must share information between other departments.
  • Anne54
    Anne54 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, Same happened to me. Ive been on ESA for years (transferred from long term incapacity.  When I was asssessed and failed PIP within a few weeks I got assessment forms for ESA.  I suppose they think that because I am not considered disabled enough for PIP that I must be fighting fit and just shirking.  The Government has the general public convinced that all people on benefits are scroungers and shirkers.  One total stranger on the street said to me "what's supposed to be wrong with you, you don't look disabled" or the other favourite "oh you are disabled, how did you manage to wangle that?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, for ESA you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months. A few years ago i had both ESA and PIP drop through the letter box literally within just a few days of each other.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stevenheather
    stevenheather Community member Posts: 23 Listener
    Hi all

I had a pip assessment a few weeks ago and 2 weeks prior had a form from esa sent to me, 1st contact in 4 years from the esa
    i got enhanced care and mobility from pip then called esa to inform them of the change and they looked while on the phone and said they would adjust my esa accordingly...
    seems strange that after applying for pip i then get a form from esa....

one question is i have a friend move in my spare room and helps me at times, would this affect my claim... i have not claimed for any carer but was down as living alone
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

The ESA form you received, this does need to be filled in and returned no later than the date stated in the letter. Failure to return it could see you being found fit for work for failing to return. Unfortunately a PIP claim doesn't help an ESA claim. For ESA they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months.

As you're classed as living alone then i'm assuming you're claiming the severe disability premium on top of your ESA? Your friend moving in with you will affect this unless they also claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or attendance allowance. If they don't claim any of these and they're not named on the tenancy agreement then you won't be classed as living alone and you'll lose the SDP. All changes need to be reported to DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • stevenheather
    Thanks poppy

She is a lodger who helps me I needed to have a lodger to help pay my mortgage or I would be homeless
    she works 10 hours a week
    would it help if I asked her to be my carer officially which she does at the moment for reduced rent
    thanks
  • stevenheather
    Ps she does not make any claims at all and never has
  • poppy123456
    When you say she's a lodger what do you mean by this? do you rent your home, or do you have a mortgage? If you rent your home, is she have a tenancy agreement therefore she pays her share of the rent?

You really do need to report to DWP that she's living with you because this could possibly affect your ESA and it's possible that you're not entitled to the severe disability premium since the day she moved in. If so then you'll have an overpayment and this will need to be repaid.

Also as you previously lived alone you were most likely claiming 25% single person discount for your council tax. As you now don't live alone you won't be entitled to this discount. You also need to ring your local council to report the changes for this.
  • stevenheather
    No I have not claimed single person allowance from the council
    but will have to try sort this mess out it’s putting back and just want to throw it all in and wish I never got awarded pip
    god it’s a mess
  • poppy123456
    The number to ring ESA to report changes is 0800 169 0310
  • stevenheather
    Thank you poppy
    i have just taken some of my emergency meds to calm me down then I am seeing my councillor at 3.30 and hope I have not made to many mistakes 
    i only called them to advise change of circumstances and advise I was awarded enhanced pip 
    wish I had not now
    so so worried 
    just thought I was getting my head above water and now this has knocked me back down again
    thanks for being there
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    You've had some great advice and you're doing really well @stevenheather. Make sure you're looking after yourself first and foremost, and I hope easier days are on their way.
  • stevenheather
    Thank you my councillor was great and feel much better

thanks for being there
    steve

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.