Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment

Teresamay
Teresamay Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi ive just had my pip stopped they said i got 0 points on all I have fibromyalgia which is a hard one,as it effects different parts of my body daily the questions they ask have nothing to do with pains in my body they seems to be for people with no ability to life thanks teresa

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't just awarded to those with no ability to life. It's awarded based on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out activities based on the PIP descriptors and is not about a diagnosis.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR, which you need to put in writing. You should state what you disagree and where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.

Only 18% of MR decisions change so expect to have to take it to Tribunal where appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Teresamay
    Hi thanks for your reply my daily living is different every day I suffer with my feet knees and my hands cramp up when doing any thing when my shoulder was in flare up I found it hard to bath and go toilet i don't have any aids as I use walls and furniture to help me whilst getting dressed I sit on my bed and hubby dose food prep then it's frozen every time I go doctors all I get is it's down to your fibromyalgia meds just get bumped up and down there's not a lot of meds I can take as I had blood clot to my lung (pe) now on life time meds for that I don't no how every body gets judged on them same questions on for different health and disabity problems thanks teresa  
  • nickyj66
    nickyj66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi need advice please .Just had my pip decision back and they have cut me down again .This time and last time .I didn’t bother appealing 2 yrs ago as I didn’t feel well enough .I had all my mobility taken off me though they hired the care .This time they awarded me some mobility and lowered the care .Also on both occasions my points were diffrant as they had written down diffrant things for which I told them I couldn’t do they said I can do lol it’s a joke .Im only losing £21 a month though work it out it’s a lot to lose in a year .Though a friend of a friend lost all hers when she appealed also went to a tribunal still lost it .So you can imagine how I’m feeling if I appealed as I really need my pip due to my disabilities etc thank you .
  • poppy123456
    nickyj66 said:
    Hi need advice please .Just had my pip decision back and they have cut me down again .This time and last time .I didn’t bother appealing 2 yrs ago as I didn’t feel well enough .I had all my mobility taken off me though they hired the care .This time they awarded me some mobility and lowered the care .Also on both occasions my points were diffrant as they had written down diffrant things for which I told them I couldn’t do they said I can do lol it’s a joke .Im only losing £21 a month though work it out it’s a lot to lose in a year .Though a friend of a friend lost all hers when she appealed also went to a tribunal still lost it .So you can imagine how I’m feeling if I appealed as I really need my pip due to my disabilities etc thank you .
    Hi,

If you disagree with the decision the only way to challenge it is by requesting the mandatory reconsideration and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this but before doing anything you need to get face to face advice from a local advice centre near you. No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award by requesting the MR.

If it gets to Tribunal then they will warn you if they plan on reducing your current award, then it's your choice whether or not you continue.

When writing the MR letter You should state what you disagree and where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nickyj66
    nickyj66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you so much for you advice x
  • maz43
    maz43 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I applied twice for pip and got 0 points! I have fibromyalgia and chronic migraine. I am spending 90% of my life on the sofa which became my bed the last few years. During the pip assessment the woman was so unpleasant I was in a shock! Yesterday I got letter saying that I got 0 points. The woman said that I wasn’t in pain, I didn’t look stressed or depressed! And other lies! And that I was fit and healthy! I am so shocked and upset words can’t describe! She didn’t let me speak. Whenever I was trying to say something she said that if I carry in we will be there all day! The assessment took 30 minutes! I don’t look sick but how can anyone judge how you are feeling by the way you look! I just don’t know what to do anymore. I feel that I wasn’t treated fairly.  Not enough I am living in constant pain and have no life and I can’t even get help from people that should help. I feel that I have been treated like a liar and a criminal!
  • poppy123456
    maz43 said:
    I applied twice for pip and got 0 points! I have fibromyalgia and chronic migraine. I am spending 90% of my life on the sofa which became my bed the last few years. During the pip assessment the woman was so unpleasant I was in a shock! Yesterday I got letter saying that I got 0 points. The woman said that I wasn’t in pain, I didn’t look stressed or depressed! And other lies! And that I was fit and healthy! I am so shocked and upset words can’t describe! She didn’t let me speak. Whenever I was trying to say something she said that if I carry in we will be there all day! The assessment took 30 minutes! I don’t look sick but how can anyone judge how you are feeling by the way you look! I just don’t know what to do anymore. I feel that I wasn’t treated fairly.  Not enough I am living in constant pain and have no life and I can’t even get help from people that should help. I feel that I have been treated like a liar and a criminal!
    Hi,

Constantly re-applying with the same evidence you previously used isn't the answer. They'll most likely continue to refuse your claim if you do this.

What you should do next is request the mandatory reconsideration in writing, stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.

Only 18% of MR decisions change so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal.

Remember PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

Contact your local advice agency for face to face advice.
  • maz43
    maz43 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi. Thank you so much for your reply. The first time I applied I only had fibromyalgia and other issues. The chronic migraine is new. I am going to citizen advice bureau as soon as I am able to go out as I am sick most days. I will definitely take it further. Even if I have to go to tribunal.  I have never been treated the way they treated me! Thank you again for your help. Kind regards
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Teresamay , @nickyj66 and @maz43 , welcome. @poppy123456 gives great advice! As she said, you probably won't win at Mandatory Reconsideration, but you can't skip it if you want to do a tribunal appeal. The good news? 70% of claimants win their tribunal appeals.
  • Teresamay
    That's great hun thanks x

Brightness