Ileostomy with large hernia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ileostomy with large hernia

Options
R881233
R881233 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Can I claim any benefits 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Not based on a diagnosis, no. PIP isn't means tested but to be eligible to claim then you must be between the ages of 16-65, have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last a further 9 months at least.

A successful claim depends on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

For any other benefits it depends on your circumstances and with no information it's impossible to advise any further. I'd advise a visit to your local advice centre for a full benefits check.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @R881233, and a warm welcome to the community!
  • R881233
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've an ileostomy and a large hernia. I have just received my pip letter and the report was filled with lies.My husband was with me at face to face assessment, he cant believe how these people get away with it .How does a toxic waste bag that burns skin leak,granulomas,bleeding, depression etc not count.They never even mentioned my mental health and receive all documents .Why are stoma sufferers get 2 points for incontinents .? This pip system is failing people like me and others .Its very unfair and how these people judge you in an hour and then write lies ,
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi R881233  first welcome to the community I have a Stoma plus a lot of Parastomal Hernias that give me lots of problems with blockage and having to go to hospital to have mesh fitted and with skin problems with ulcers to my skin that are hard to heal up my PIP report from the assessor put that I did not need a colostomy bag for toilet needs and had know problems with Bowel incontinence and did not see that I need to have a colostomy bag 
  • R881233
    Options
    Hi Gerald, What is going on with pip!! I've everything that you have too except they can't fix my hernia which give leaks etc .Pip assessors are cheating us and lying  maybe they are on a bonus structure who knows. One thing if you have a bag your incontinent you only get 2 points it's how it affects you in daily life.Well you can be assure of one thing it dominates your life night and day .They say hidden disability. Maybe we should wear no clothes for the government to see not to take this lightly 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PIP descriptor, managing toilet needs or incontinence.

Descriptor B (2 points): Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage toilet needs or incontinence

For example: the claimant is unable to use a standard toilet due to their health condition or impairment. Suitable aids could include commodes, raised toilet seats and bottom wipers, incontinence pads or a stoma bag.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Gerald
    Options
    R881233 said:
    Hi Gerald, What is going on with pip!! I've everything that you have too except they can't fix my hernia which give leaks etc .Pip assessors are cheating us and lying  maybe they are on a bonus structure who knows. One thing if you have a bag your incontinent you only get 2 points it's how it affects you in daily life.Well you can be assure of one thing it dominates your life night and day .They say hidden disability. Maybe we should wear no clothes for the government to see not to take this lightly 
    Hi R881233  the problem with my Parastomal Hernias  is that they never stop coming even with the mesh at the moment i have 7 of them and if one just moves its new hospital job and there is just so much that can be done and i can feal the mesh and that is giving me a lot of pain moving a round and i know about the 2 points but i got (0) points and the MR the same so now going to the tribunal now at 54 weeks and still know date for it .
  • R881233
    Options
    Poppy understand 2 points fully doesn't make it right.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's what PIP is all about, meeting the descriptors to score the points for any award. You can't score anymore points if a descriptor doesn't apply.
  • R881233
    Options
    Gerald that's an awful situation your in with your health. This government with this pip new legislation is letting real people with real issues and real disabilities down .How on earth you got zero is beyond me .I got 2 at least and will be following up with pip.My gp was outraged at the outcome and says pip is flawed badly. Do you know that they are trying to get a blue badge passed for hidden disabilities. Well if that's the case that's for disabled people .But accordingly to pip we aren't disabled enough apparently 
  • R881233
    Options
    Poppy there should be a law that all assessments are allowed to be taped .Because hand on heart my assessor lied about alot on form.And they didn't even go to check with backup of all my clarification as it went on assessor say so .How can u be judged in 45 minutes .By a complete stranger who didn't even know what my condition was flawed
  • Gerald
    Options
    ilovecats said:
    Gerald said:
    R881233 said:
    Hi R881233  the problem with my Parastomal Hernias  is that they never stop coming even with the mesh at the moment i have 7 of them and if one just moves its new hospital job and there is just so much that can be done and i can feal the mesh and that is giving me a lot of pain moving a round and i know about the 2 points but i got (0) points and the MR the same so now going to the tribunal now at 54 weeks and still know date for it .
    I’ve already told you that you were unfairly awarded regarding activity 5. The pain you are in is not taken into consideration with that activity however if it affects your ability to walk then it should be considered under activity 12.
    Hi ilovecats i know that i do not know what activity 12 is and on that point how do you the assessment for mental health
  • Gerald
    Options
    Hi  ilovecats  Thanks for that
  • R881233
    Options
    That sums up pip no mention of mental health. If you have pain,hernia,bagsleak,back ache rectal discharge ,list goes on how do you think how ones mental health is going to be. It's not rocket science. Gerald il say it again we r the hidden disabilities and pip isn't interested in mental health. It's all to cut costs .
  • Gerald
    Options
    Hi R881233  thank you for that it helps a lot 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.