Let down — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let down

manda29
manda29 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone I'm very new to all this but I have had ill health for over 20yrs. My depression started 20 odd years ago just after I gave birth to my first child, since then my health has suffered in numerous ways not content with depression i have stress anxiety, plantaar fasciitis, and a bad back. I've worked in previous years and I've also been on various benefits but lately I've been let down big time and I'm really at an all time low. We previously as a family had an early help/key worker who was amazing with helping my son with his struggles but helping me appeal my pip. Basically this time I've got no workers, I've failed my pip, mandatory reconsideration, I've lost my mobility car and because of that I can't leave my home. I cant get to the docs,hospital appts, I can't make it to the bus stop or even into the village to charge my electric key and gas card. I get my vast amounts of medication delivered by the chemist weekly as I'm prone to overdosing when I'm low which obviously is a lot right now. I've tried to get in touch with the early help team,and also the welfare rights to try and get some help and advice as to what i can do. Even though I have my partner and my teenage son at home I've never felt so alone sorry for the long post but just like my life it's complicated and never straight forward ! Will be interesting to see what you all advise things couldn't be any worse 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @manda29

Welcome to the community. I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through. Well done for reaching out to get some support, have you tried getting in touch again recently or with your local CAB

You may find our mental health discussions helpful with members who may be able to relate with what you are going through.

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself. 

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    manda29 said:
    Hi everyone I'm very new to all this but I have had ill health for over 20yrs. My depression started 20 odd years ago just after I gave birth to my first child, since then my health has suffered in numerous ways not content with depression i have stress anxiety, plantaar fasciitis, and a bad back. I've worked in previous years and I've also been on various benefits but lately I've been let down big time and I'm really at an all time low. We previously as a family had an early help/key worker who was amazing with helping my son with his struggles but helping me appeal my pip. Basically this time I've got no workers, I've failed my pip, mandatory reconsideration, I've lost my mobility car and because of that I can't leave my home. I cant get to the docs,hospital appts, I can't make it to the bus stop or even into the village to charge my electric key and gas card. I get my vast amounts of medication delivered by the chemist weekly as I'm prone to overdosing when I'm low which obviously is a lot right now. I've tried to get in touch with the early help team,and also the welfare rights to try and get some help and advice as to what i can do. Even though I have my partner and my teenage son at home I've never felt so alone sorry for the long post but just like my life it's complicated and never straight forward ! Will be interesting to see what you all advise things couldn't be any worse 
    What you describe is unfortunately the norm today. I can sympathise with the feeling of being alone.
    Since the mental health day unit I used was closed down in 2002 I have struggled with not just mental health issues but physical problems as well. I have had no help from anybody in the past 17 years, no one to turn to except my wife and no advice regarding welfare entitlements.

• manda29
    manda29 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It's atrocious isn't it,  I've been backwards and forwards to my local mental health workers as if my knicker elastic was stuck to the door! Even when you do see someone they only give you about half a dozen appointments and then kick you out of the service. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.