Cold weather payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cold weather payments

Options
Chrisk16
Chrisk16 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I think it's discussting that you get put on universal credit and have disabilities and have to fight to get disability payments and don't get cold weather payment when I got these benefits on jobseekers I sit in my house with a blanket over me because I can't afford to put my heating on

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry to hear this @Chrisk16, that sounds tough. Citizens Advice have some guidance on extra help with heating costs which may be helpful, I hope you can find something that works for you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Being on JSA alone, doesn't qualify you for the cold weather payment. If you're claim Income Related JSA then the following must apply for you to be able to claim it.

Income Support and income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and have any of the following:

• a disability or pensioner premium
    • a child who is disabled
    • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
    • a child under 5 living with you
    If claiming UC then to qualify for the CWP then either of the following must apply.

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get Universal Credit and you’re not employed or self-employed. One of the following must also apply:

You’ll also be eligible if you have a disabled child amount in your claim, whether you’re employed or not.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Options
    Has it been cold enough for long enough this year for it to be payable?
  • Chrisk16
    Options
    It's been paid out twice so far
  • easy
    Options
    Is that in England as I would expect to get it but not had anything yet?
  • Chrisk16
    Options
    No south lanarkshire 
  • easy
    Options
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hi everyone. Please use this checker here to see if your area is awarded a cold weather payment https://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk/ I would be surprised if many have got it, as this year I don't think the temperature hasent really been that low for long periods of time yet. Below -0C is needed for 7 consecutive days❄️

I've just checked mine and nothing for me this time. ?

Good luck to all thise that have recievedit.?
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Zebra88
    Zebra88 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, my area shows as 1 payment due - which I find really silly considering the actual temp has been freezing for a month but they go off a station three towns away almost in another county but hey ho - has anyone qualified been paid yet? Just wondering when it is paid as never had one before and it says within 14 working days but don't want to worry if it doesn't go in so looking for an actual timescale. My gas bill was £30 more this month ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Zebra88 said:
    Hi, my area shows as 1 payment due - which I find really silly considering the actual temp has been freezing for a month but they go off a station three towns away almost in another county but hey ho - has anyone qualified been paid yet? Just wondering when it is paid as never had one before and it says within 14 working days but don't want to worry if it doesn't go in so looking for an actual timescale. My gas bill was £30 more this month ?
    My area has had 2 payments but as yet i've only received 1. No idea how long it takes, other than 14 working days timescale. If you don't receive anything by then, give them a ring. If you're sure you qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.