Neighbour using my disabled son to harass us as a family — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Neighbour using my disabled son to harass us as a family

mitchy
mitchy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, we have a neighbour who has been harassing us for over two years. I have a disabled son who this neighbour is targeting with constant complaints. Having spoken to our housing officer, PCSO and trying to get an appt with our local MP I really do not know where else to go. Basically told to ‘rise above’ the constant complaints (petty and unfounded) but it’s not nice and has made us very unsettled and unhappy. Any advice very welcome please. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mitchy   Pleased to meet you. Sorry what you are going through.

You mentioned PCSO . Have you spoken to the Hate Crime Unit.

This is an community unit of the Police that deal with hate crime.  Targeted against any member of our community. Especially those who are vulnerable and those members of our society.  Who are disabled, elderly, ethnic, have faiths,religions, gay and transgender. 

Discuss with the ongoing situation.  

Also make a diary of any incidents.

I know this might help you.

I know used the hate crime unit  myself. Had many times problems with neighbours.

Hope that helps.

We are here as a community to support you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • mitchy
    Thankyou for your advice, have spoken to pcso but need to reiterate and follow it up.  Much appreciate your input and many thanks again!
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Just a heads up I had all the hassle like yourself, went to the Police, had video evidence and loads of witnesses to boot.

In the end I had to move because no one did nothing and it drove me mad evidence proved everything. But still had to move. People that cause grief to others is plain wrong. I wish you well.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• mitchy
    Thankyou! It has been suggested that we move and I was up for it but we love our home and feel we should not be forced out but it has had such a negative and distressing effect in our family that it could be a possibility. If anything the neighbour should be moved. There is not enough help for victims and this needs to be addressed. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mitchy   Thanks for reply. How are you?  I am as many of the community can identify what you are though.

Understand the situation so clearly my self. Some thing not right in our communities as we experience so many times the unnecessary depression and misery of harassment.

Stressful I can imagine for you and your family.

Problem is do you wish to be in this situation or find a solution. That can better your mental health.

I can understand the home you have is pleasant . My concern is for you and the welfare of your son.

The harm it may hurt him.

I know and do agree with you entirely the neighbour should be moved. I also wonder if it is possible to speak as I have suggested The Hate Crime Unit.  Follow it up.

I know I am sure that you are probably like me do not want to them to get involved. Feel can not help you. Understand all that but they really do help.

I am an old fashioned gentleman and had to be strong felt embarrassed to admit had an problem but I did it.

Policeman came down and visited me. The very presence of the Officer visiting most times did work.

Please keep in touch.  Always happy to help and be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • shelby3
    shelby3 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello, 
    You could try contacting the citizens advice beauro they cover many subjects.

• Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    One word...CCTV! you need evidence to prove your claim of harassment, otherwise it is simply your word against his.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    We have all had nighbour trouble at some time or other and can be sorted out before it gets out of hand. Mine is over car parking, because I put up disabled parking only signs  and need 24 hour mobility scooter acess they park so as I have to park in the road instead of before gate enterance, when it awkward to acess the gateway and I catch the gate post causing damage it’s tough on them no comments made. But keep up the reporting to the police, council, it can’t,won’t and shouldn’t  be tolerated.

Brightness