Son's DLA, how long until we change to PIP and will we get DLA in the meantime? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son's DLA, how long until we change to PIP and will we get DLA in the meantime?

ellejais
ellejais Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I hope its ok to ask for advice with regards to my Son! He has just turned 16 & is on hrc & lrm DLA. He will change over to pip but I have not heard from them yet, re forms etc. Does any one know how long it takes and if he will still get dla in the mean time? Thank you.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ellejais

Good Evening and Welcome ??

Here’s some info on pip for you below:

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment

We have got more info please let me let me know if you would like a to sort this for you??? 

@steve51

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ellejais, and a warm welcome to the community! 

Hopefully our members will be in touch and able to offer some guidance with this. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    As he's just turned 16 then i'd advise you to expect that letter very soon. When a person turns 16 the PIP change over process is different to those that are over the age of 16.

Are you his appointee? If so then when you receive that letter it will invite you to apply for PIP. You then need to ring the PIP helpline to start his application off. They'll ask you some basic questions. After this you'll be sent PIP2 forms to fill in and return along with all the relevant evidence to support his claim.

You should fill out that form with as much information about how his conditions affect him as possible. Giving 2-3 examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

His DLA will continue to be paid providing you start the claim within the timeframe and return those forms by the date stated in the letter. Extra time can be given to return them if you ring and ask DWP. Once the forms are returned they'll most likely send an appointment for a face to face assessment as most people have them. After this once the assessment report is returned to DWP a decision will be made on the PIP. His DLA will end approximately 4 weeks after the decision is made. If he's awarded PIP then payments will start 3 weeks after. If he's successful with the PIP claim and the PIP is higher than the DLA award then there will be no backdated money because he's transferring from DLA.

It will be worth doing some research online as to what the PIP descriptors mean so you have some understanding.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ellejais
    ellejais Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you all for the replies. I am my Sons appointee, I was just given conflicting advice/stories from people and was starting to worry. Thank you again for the speedy responses .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.