A Word of Care — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A Word of Care

Options
happy91
happy91 Community member Posts: 101 Pioneering

I'm dealing with an issue now I wish I had known you always need to check for. I want to let the community know so they're better able to deal with this than I am.

Always, always test your property for bedbugs. You can get them from neighbours through the walls and whether you are clean or not. They are difficult to deal with anyway, let alone adding the complication of being disabled. Test for them always, use climb up interceptors and inspect for them when you can daily ideally.

They are horrible to deal with and not invisible like most think. They can give you very bad skin (like me) or no problems at all for sometime. They are difficult to treat anyway, so spotting them straight away will make getting rid of them easier. You could be giving them to friends, family, neighbours without knowing. Have a good relationship with your neighbours so you can find out if they have ever had issues, those beside and above you.

Its not nice to think or talk about but for the sake of your own care and sanity please always take measures to test and treat a problem as soon as you identify it.

Best to everyone

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @happy91

Thank you for sharing this with us. 

I am sorry to hear what you have been going through. Have you informed your local authority?

All the best and please do keep us updated. :)
  • happy91
    Options

Hi @Antonia_Scope

Yes. I will contact Environmental Health on Monday for an assessment.

I'm pretty sure the whole block of flats I live in is infested. I've had a third treatment put down and have set out legal rights and duties of care in place after ensuring both myself and my neighbour at the same time reported the issue to both the managing agent and landlord. The bugs can make themselves very flat and travel through holes in walls. They really are insidious bastards. They left cuts and bleeding open wounds, red raw rash all over me.

Frankly I have to move out anyway so my top priority is finding private accomodation suitable for my needs.

All the best

Isabella

• happy91
    Options
    When moving out I will take all precautions to be rid of them.

Brightness