Free of cheap prescription sunglasses — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Free of cheap prescription sunglasses

Zebra88
Zebra88 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
Hi everyone

Unsure if I posted to the correct place so apologies if not.

I have an astigmatism and extreme short sightedness so I have prescription glasses. I also have DMSO treatments which cause cataracts, ans im at risk of retinal detachment so I have 6 monthly eye checks at the eye hospital. I also have ocular migraines and my GP wrote me a letter for work saying I can't sit under flouro lights for too long. Finally- I have extremely dry eyes and I use Vita-pos gel at night and Hylo Forte during the day as I don't have much tears due to an autoimmune condition.

For me to be able to see effectively I have to have perfect light and moisture conditions... It stops me from driving especially when I have medication that causes blurred vision as then I often have really bad proprioception and can't find a point of reference as to how close I am to kerbs etc.

Thing is I use a powered chair and I'm struggling on sunny days to see when out and about. Because my eyes don't water they just get very sore and eyelids swollen when they get the slightest bit dry from the sun, and the light is causing me bad ocular migraines.

I tried sunglasses the other day (yes, in January ?) and they were great for the migraines and dryness, except- I can't see where I'm going.

I cannot afford prescription sunglasses. I get free prescriptions at the moment but can't find any info online as to whether it's possible to get these with an optical voucher (I'm due an eye test soon). They would be of so much benefit I feel that I could really do with them and my last optician suggested them but I was working and just didn't have the money. Has anyone had them on prescription? Or does anyone know of somewhere reputable, cheap and easy to use? Would also appreciate any advice on just stopping my eyeballs from feeling like I've been punched all the time. Thanks ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Spec savers have a buy one get one free offer (or 2 for 1 as they advertise it), this includes the prescription sun glasses and yes you can have them when you get free prescriptions. Of course anything over the amount you're allowed and you'll need to pay the difference. They will explain it to you if you go in.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    All  prescriptions for glasses  if on benefits can be made up to meet your needs. Spec savers is a quick in and out service and a person like your self would be better using a private option in stead of a national chain who will give you better service. My wife as used both and the private independent one has twice referred her to hospital first time for a tumor behind the eye after having a scam and now a ulcer in her eye both not picked by the national chain poppy mentioned.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    The reason i mentioned spec savers was because Zebra did mention that they couldn't afford to pay, with spec savers you can have both within a certain range.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Zebra88
    Zebra88 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. I had no idea that Specsavers did prescription sunglasses so I'm going to check them out. I went to an independent place last time and they were absolutely brilliant but ended up paying hundreds for my glasses and only wish I could afford it at the moment. I think the quote they gave for sunglasses was even more. Even basic ones would be great so I can go out in the sun and actually see at the same time! 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have your optical prescription some of the on line opticians can offer a fairly cheap and reasonable service
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Zebra88 I agree with CockneyRebel, online opticians can save you a great deal of money. 

The company I use the most I have spent is £48 and these were for glasses specifically for working with computers. Prescription sunglasses cost me £30. The cheapest prescription glasses I have bought were £6 but usually around £12. That said I view glasses as a tool, rather than a fashion item, but they do have a good range of styles and colours. You pay for the frames rather than the lens and they do have a range of designer frames, some of the coatings you would normally pay for are free. 

You do not need to buy your glasses where you get your eyes tested, they should give you the prescription for your glasses. You will need to enter these details online, as well as other information you will find on the arm of your prescription glasses. lens width, height and arm length. The company I use will hold your order if you prefer to send the prescription to them. However once you have entered the prescription you can store it for future purchases.

As it is a UK company you can call them if you have any particular questions. For example which tints might suit your needs more in sunglasses.

I have been absolutely delighted with the company I use, the only downside is that you can wait a little longer for them to be made and delivered. It would definately be worth looking around online.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• LuAst23
    LuAst23 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi, although I am new here, I've had similar problems with my eyes. If your eyes are hurting as well as dry, has the optician checked your "intraocular pressure" (internal eye pressure) for glaucoma? If your eye pressure is high the optician via GP must refer you to see a consultant ophthalmologist, at the eye hospital. There are various types of glaucoma, and some of them are treated long term; some other glaucoma types can make you go suddenly blind. Mine was one of those, called "primary angle closure glaucoma" which I never knew existed before then, early 2017. I had double iridotomies (one in each eye) at my local eye hospital, as the cure. Since then I use sunglasses and night driving tinted glasses both issued by my opticians, Vision Express based at my local Tesco supermarket. 
    All the best!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.