Rhumatoid Arthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rhumatoid Arthritis

maggieomx
maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
Im moving ro wales from manchester as my mobility is going  down quivkly in on incom related esa and severe disability yedterday things got worse iv been told iv got rhumatoid arthritis now.
 thats why iv bought a bungalow coz of my mobility i lnow il lose my esa and severe disability money as il have more than £16000 in the bank whats the chances og getting my severe disability back when i apply for UC ???

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Once your savings drop below £16,000 then you'll be able to apply for UC yes. However, you won't be able to claim the SDP because it doesn't exist on UC. When you do re-apply then you'll need sick notes again from your GP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maggieomx
    Im on pip till 2007 ? Middle level iv got a mobility car ???
    So why will i need sick notes ?!??
  • poppy123456
    Once your savings drop under £16,000 and claim UC a PIP claim doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work, so you'll need sick notes from your GP if you're unfit for work when you claim it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maggieomx
    Does 1 dept not talk to the other ?? 
     would save a lot of time money and heart ache !!!
    I fought to get my pip at my level so iv to go through it all again !!!
  • poppy123456
    They are completely different benefits. People claim PIP and work. Claiming LCW for UC or ESA is about having a limited capability for work.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hi  dont get the pip and work bit. If you work you wouldbe walking more than 200 metres wouldnt you.
    So how can you claim pip
  • poppy123456
    PIP isn't just about walking...
  • maggieomx
    I know been on it long enough .
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Are your savings due to the the result of selling your house and not spending the same on your bungalow ?
    Are there adaptations that you need to make to your new property that your savings will be needed to pay for ?
    Will you need to spend money on ramps and handrails for example ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • maggieomx
    I sold my house for £169,000
    Bought bungalow for £120,000 all fees from buying and selling and all solicitors fees are coming out of the money plus £6000 to pay my mortgage off plus removal from manchester to wales plus i will need new furniture as im downsizing from big 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom bungalow. My old suite is 40 inches deep and long bed is too big as well.
    Plus the w.c is very long and narrow and would need to knock through to bathroom to make bigger. The rails and handles doubt there will be much left ??? I havent got a clue ?.?
  • maggieomx
    I haven't got a clue how much roughly I'd have left ??..
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    maggieomx said:
    I sold my house for £169,000
    Bought bungalow for £120,000 all fees from buying and selling and all solicitors fees are coming out of the money plus £6000 to pay my mortgage off plus removal from manchester to wales plus i will need new furniture as im downsizing from big 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom bungalow. My old suite is 40 inches deep and long bed is too big as well.
    Plus the w.c is very long and narrow and would need to knock through to bathroom to make bigger. The rails and handles doubt there will be much left ??? I havent got a clue ?.?
    Good grief £120K for a bungalow!!! Don't ever think of moving to the South East - the village next to me there is one that is going cheap at nearly three times that figure!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55394658.html

3 Bed house in Manchester - £169K - Thank goodness we moved from Urmston 30 years ago to Kent when prices were very similar to Manchester prices - very few people did not want to live anywhere near the countryside in Kent - preferring to be in London. In fact I even thought of buying a new build 2 bed apartment just out of the city centre to stay in during the week but as it was right on the side of the Thames I was worried that I would never be able to resell it - that was in 1992. They were asking £41,000. Currently a similar property in the same block has just sold for £1.2m!!
  • maggieomx
    Oh my god id of jus mped at the chance to buy by the water for £40000 !!
    Mine was goin for 175 but i took the first offer as.i cant wait to move stairs are killing me my ainti lives in flixton but lived in urmston .
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    maggieomx said:
    Oh my god id of jus mped at the chance to buy by the water for £40000 !!
    Mine was goin for 175 but i took the first offer as.i cant wait to move stairs are killing me my ainti lives in flixton but lived in urmston .
    At that time no one had ever thought that looking out over the Thames would ever become such an attractive proposition certainly not in the centre of London. The area was like a huge building site overshadowed by a great big block of offices. It was surrounded at the time by derelict docks as well as warehouses.
    One that is currently for sale:
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59995599.html

I would have made approx.£1,159,000 profit over 27 years!!!!
    Flixton and Urmston know them both well - still got a brother in law living in Urmston. Small world isn't it.
  • maggieomx
    If only we knew then what we know now !!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You should seek trained advice on this, some money can be discounted for a period of time when buying and selling your main residence. I think that this may included monies that need to be spend to make your new dwelling suitable.
    Try to make an estimate of what needs to be done as you say there may be little left after essential improvements. Get quotes for the essentials and building works. However you must get trained advice from CAB, Welfare rights, Age conceren or similar as this is not a straight forward matter 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • maggieomx
    Thankyou will do 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.