How to word PIP application — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to word PIP application

Options
christinedavies
christinedavies Community member Posts: 27 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am 50 years old and suffer from anxiety depression panic attacks and agrophobia . I am in the process of filling in PIP form and having a nervous breakdown about wording my symptoms correctly .

Comments

• christinedavies
    Options
    Also if anyone can advise I was on high rate care high rate mobilty for pip until i went for assesment in march 2017 I was
    awarded 0 points because the advisor said I didnt have a panic attack while I was there . Does anyone know if I qualify for
    the descrimination for mobilty and if its worth me ringing them . I only ask because of reading it went to the high court. Many Thanks
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @christinedavies   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  I am one of the team of community champions who advise, help new members who join.

Please can I advise speak to CAB about filling in your PIP form.  I would first make draft answers on paper before filling it in.

Make an appointment with CAB go down and they will fill in the form for you. Using your answers.  Plus add anything else you might need to add.

CAB have expertise and knowledge of benefits. I use them all the time for forms and anything further I need to know.

Hope that helps.

Please ask if we can help and advise . Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • christinedavies
    Options
    Thanks for reply will try CAB again when I phoned i was told there was a two week waiting list

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @christinedavies, and welcome!

In the meantime, there's some great in-depth guidance on filling in the PIP form on the Citizens Advice website too.

Use our Personal Independence Payment (PIP) guidance to help you fill in your PIP claim form. There is advice for each question, including: 
    • what the questions mean 
    • what to write about in your answers 
    • examples of answers people might give
    • help explaining how your illness or disability affects you 
    PIP is based on how your condition affects you. It's not based on your particular illness or disability, or your medication.

It’s very important to think about each question. Our help pages will help you to decide if you need to answer each question.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

There's no correct wording to use. You just need to make sure fill out the form with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out the activities.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • christinedavies
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Well i have just spent nearly two hours with breaks filling in PIP form with guidance from my husband . I feel mentally drained . Going to G.P tomorrow to get letter and my husband has written a statement as my carer . Form has to be back by 25 th Feb

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well i have just spent nearly two hours with breaks filling in PIP form with guidance from my husband . I feel mentally drained . Going to G.P tomorrow to get letter and my husband has written a statement as my carer . Form has to be back by 25 th Feb

2 hours is not long to fill out a PIP form, are you sure you've explained everything about how your conditions affect you against all the descriptors that apply? DWP do give an extra 14 days to return the form, all you need to do is ring and ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • christinedavies
    edited February 2019
    Options
    yes i explained it all thoroughly and added 2 sheets extra , i have been writing things down in note-pad over the last week and basically just copied what i had written , maybe should of stated that previously. Thanks for your input Poppy much appreciated .

• christinedavies
    Options
    Hi just an up-date .....I had assesment at home for about 45 minutes on wednesday . Seemed to go well lovely lady think she worked within the mental health sector very understanding . Went through my completed form and answered as best i could with husbands help . Had a breakdown to which she was very understanding but suggested I get some motivation by painting a nail each day which my husband found quite amusing . will let you know outcome she said i would hear in about 4 -6 weeks .
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello @christinedavies   Thank you for sharing with the community.

Here to a positive outcome.

We are here any time to give you reassurance and listen.

To help you to relax and cope after any assessment. Strange suggestion from assessor.

I usually ring up Doctors make an appointment talk and get any additional guidance if I need it. With my mental health.

After all they care for you and often is the case need to know.  Have told them before hand as well.  Just in case DWP contact them.

If you had an assessment.  Often can be useful a chat.

Do this after outcome as well.

You not wasting Doctors time. There for a purpose to make sure your wellbeing is positive.

Went a while ago for a review and took my assessment paper work. Which they take a copy. For there own records.

One other thing I do is meditate and try to relax because you do think the obvious.  Have I missed anything. Do I think should I a lot of ifs.

Use music and try to think positive thoughts and focus on them.

Have been doing this a long time. So do know every one is different.

Even so wish you the best .Remember if you wish to know anything be happy to help any time.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @christinedavies, thank you for coming back and updating us, I'm glad to hear your assessment went well and you had an understanding assessor. Keep in touch and let us know the outcome. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You should ask for a copy of the assessment report. It can take 6-8 weeks for a decision
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.