PIP and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and ESA

Ellie1234
Ellie1234 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I am new to the group
Hello everyone!
Please can I ask a question that I have spent hours trying to find the answer to? I hope I am not causing problems by giving a brief history 
My son is 30 in May, he claims ESA. We have just had our face to face for PIP
the reason we are trying to claim PIP is for the housing benefit 
as he is under 35 he is only entitled to shared accommodation. Due to his high anxiety, depression, childhood sexual abuse and PTSD, shared accommodation is just a complete no no.
if he is awarded PIP, will he only have that Benefit or will he keep some  or all of his ESA. 

Kindest regard
ellie

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

PIP isn't means tested and won't affect any of his ESA claim. If he's not already claiming housing benefit then he won't be able to start a new claim. All areas are now a full Universal credit area so it will have to be this. If he claims UC then his ESA will stop and become part of UC. PIP, if awarded will be paid separately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ellie1234
    Hi, he does claim housing benefit, but he’s only entitled to £70 per week as he is under 35. He lives in a 1 bed flat 
    his rent is £450 a month which we are having to put towards. 
    PIP would change his housing allocation to a 1 bed and hopefully increase his rent allowance. 
    But I worry that if he gets PIP, which the living allowance is less than his ESA we will be out of pocket still 
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Hello Ellie 1234 and welcome to the forum 
  • Ellie1234
  • poppy123456
    As advised, PIP isn't means tested and claiming any other benefit doesn't affect it in a bad way.

In fact if he lives alone and he successfully claims at least the daily living award of PIP then his ESA will increase, providing no one decides to claim Carers allowance for looking after him. He's be entitled to claim severe disability premium on top of his ESA. This is an extra £64.30 per week.

Do bare in mind that PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ellie1234
    Thank you Poppy x
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Good luck Ellie wish you well 
  • Ellie1234
    Thank you
    i will keep you all posted. Xx
  • JacquiCharles
    JacquiCharles Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Good luck. Hope you get his decision soon.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @Ellie1234
    Have you contacted your local council to see if he is eligible for the discretionary housing payment.This is a fund designed to help meet any extra housing costs not covered by housing benefit.
    There are qualifying criteria but it can’t hurt to call them and see.He May get help with some or all of the shortfall.
            Debsidoo.x
  • poppy123456
    If Ellie's son took on the tenancy agreement and signed to say they could afford the rent and their circumstances are the same now, as they were when the tenancy agreement was signed (always claimed ESA/housing benefit) Then it may not be possible to get the DHP. If they worked when the tenancy agreement was taken out then it maybe possible.

It may still be worth applying but you'll need to fill out a form and if you're given the DHP then it will only be for a limited time.
  • Ellie1234
    Hi thank you
    his rent was £360 when we signed - it’s due to go up to £450 in April. We haven’t signed anything yet
    the local council were the ones that advised me to apply for PIP
    Thank you for that advice, I will make a note of it as I may have to try again if PiP isn’t awarded x
  • poppy123456
    That's a massive increase, wow! If his PIP claim is refused you'll need to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal if that fails. Starting a new claim using the same evidence you previously used will most likely see another refusal.

To be awarded PIP those descriptors must apply to score the points for an award, without the points there's no award. Even 1 bedroom rate there will be a maximum amount of housing allowance he can claim for his area.
  • Ellie1234
    Yes the maximum amount he would get is £103 per week, that would be very helpful 
    we don’t want to have to move him as he has just started to feel settled where his is and has a few people he will talk to. After 6 years this is great progress. At the moment I feel everything is unraveling around us 
    thank you so so much for your replies, it has done my mental state the world of good talking with you all on here xx
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Has he had a face to face assessment for the PIP claim yet? Most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment. Once he's had the assessment he can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to him, this will give him some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
  • Ellie1234
    Thank you, yes he had his face to face last Wednesday- had a text message from dwp on Thursday saying that they had recieved his written report and we should hear in the next 4 weeks.
    its such a long process isn’t it, we started 5th September x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.