Claimed universal credit and my severe disability allowance of my ESA has been taken away? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claimed universal credit and my severe disability allowance of my ESA has been taken away?

Richard57
Richard57 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have just moved home and had to claim Universal credit. The severe disability allowance of my ESA has been taken away completely  without warning. They have told me this is the new system and nothing can be done. Is this correct....?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Hi @Richard57 thank you for sharing this with us. Hopefully some of our members can help you with this.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hi,

When did you move house please? and when did you claim UC?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Richard57
    Hi,  My claim started on the 3rd Jan 2019. I am in receipt of both enhanced rates of pip. I am in the support group an receive £110.75 per week ESA. The total amount is deducted from Uc every month and leaves me approx £320 per month worse off. Thanks for you response.
  • poppy123456
    The severe disability premium you were claiming when on ESA is not paid on UC. Your Contributions based ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments. UC should be adding the LCWRA element to your claim, as well as the standard element and and other elements you claim, like housing element for example.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Richard57
    Thanks, I will contact the DWP (esa) again regarding this. :)
  • poppy123456
    You need to check your UC payments to see what elements are added rather than ring ESA. Your ESA payments are correct so there's nothing to ring ESA about.
  • Richard57
    Uc payments just say an average of other benefits claimed (ESA) deductions are from 3/1/19 - 2/2/19 which are exact payment amounts at the changed rate.
  • poppy123456
    Your ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments. When you moved to UC you lost the SDP completely. You need to find out what elements of UC you're claiming, without knowing this then it's impossible to help further but the deductions from your UC are correct.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.